Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Live together in Japan 2018/8/25 16:49
Do you think Live together is permitted according to Japanese culture
My Japanese girlfriend want to stay with me in my house what I rented for myself.
or According to house rental Law.
or Can two person stay together without married.
by Max (guest)  

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/25 20:47
I live here with my Japanese girlfriend. We are not married, people sometimes ask us about marriage, but nobody thinks it is strange. Of course it is permitted! This is Japan, not Qatar.
by N (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/26 06:25
Check your rent agreement to see if they say anything about additional resident.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/28 09:37
"but nobody thinks it is strange"
that is not true.
even when they think it is strange, they don't say it straightforwardly, because telling such things is not polite.
they may ignore you sometimes (or often).
they may not help you and your girlfriend, when you get some troubles in future.
such behaviors are quite ordinary.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/28 11:00
I trust the judgement of my partner and her family over you, gkenh for the internet. You are welcome to disagree, but you are wrong. Nobody thinks it is strange.
by N (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/29 21:31
It is unacceptable here in Japan, even if no one points it out.
by Tami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/29 23:12
haha,
you can compare this situation to tattoo acceptance in Japan.
probably some Japanese say OK for tattoo, and I am sure that most of Japanese say NO.
of course, Japanese who have tattoo say OK, because NO means that they deny their life styles by themselves.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/30 01:52
The only person you have to concern yourself with their acceptance is the person who leased you the apartment. If they say "no", then to him/her it's not appropriate and hence the denial of living/cohabitation agreement.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Live together in Japan 2018/8/30 22:45
I believe this depends on the generation - my parents (80s) would never have allowed it, I (now in my 50s) grew up being under their influence, but I did it anyways during my 20s.

I do hear of younger people (20s - 30s) living together before getting married, or simply living together. So. If her parents are OK with it, that's that.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread