Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/8/30 17:41
hello,

i will stay at guest house raicho in norikura for 2 days (visit norikura dake, the waterfalls and ponds).
then i would like to visit narai and do the magome tsumago trail.

my questions:

1. how can i get from raicho to there in the early morning and how long does it take and how much does it cost?
2. is it better to do the trail from nagiso to nakatsugawa or otherwise?
3. where can i stay at magome or nakatsugawa?
4. is there a bus timetable online for the bus from magome to nakatsugawa?

thanks
snk-freak
by snk-freak (guest)  

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/8/30 18:53
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/8/30 20:13
okay thanks

so only these questions are left:

1. how can i get from raicho to there in the early morning and how long does it take and how much does it cost?
by snk-freak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/8/30 22:48
Hi may I tag on to this thread to ask a question?

If Ifm driving, whatfs the best way to do this hike?

1) I can leave the car at my lodging for the day and take public transport to and fro? Where is the best location to stay if so?

2) I can park somewhere nearby accessible to the hike? But understand that itfs a one way hike and this option may not be doable

Thanks!
by Babymetal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/8/31 02:10

No idea where "Raicho" is, but if it's at Norikura Kogen, you'll have to take the bus down to the visitor center/parking lot and then pick up a Matsumoto bound bus. At best, this will probably take 2 hours.
https://www.alpico.co.jp/en/timetable/matsumoto/r-takayama-matsumoto/

From Matsumoto, you'll have to take a train to either Nagiso or Nakatsugawa. An express will take 1 1/4 hours. A local takes almost 3 hours. Not all expresses stop at Nagiso or Nakatsugawa so you may have to wait. Check hyperdia.com.

The bus is shorter from the train station at Nagiso to Tsumago, or you can also walk this section. If you take the train to Nakatsugawa, you should take the bus, which is right in front of the station, up to Magome. It will drop you off in the parking lot at the base of the town. You then just walk up through Magome and continue out the other end. Sometimes you can be on the road a bit before you get to the Pass with the tea house and vending machines. From there, it turns into a real trail through the woods until you get close to Tsumago, and you start following small roads again.

Nakatsugawa to Magome is a steep climb and it's best to take the bus, even going downhill as it's a bit of a distance. Nagiso to Tsumago is a nice walk through the countryside, but is easiest if you go from Tsumago to Nagiso, as the directions aren't as clear in reverse. Tsumago to Magome has a bit more uphill than the reverse direction.

I've stayed at the Silk Hotel in Nakatsugawa, but if you look on Agoda or even just Google Maps, you can spot plenty of hotels and ryokan to choose from. I usually stay in Matsumoto and make Narai or Magome day trips. I actually like Narai better, as it's not as overrun by tourists as Tsumago and Magome and only has a couple of souvenir shops on the south side. I do like the trail over the Magome Pass and the waterfalls below the old guard post/tea house on the Tsumago side.

For the person driving, there are large parking lots both in Magome and Tsumago. Depending on which way you're going, you can park in one and take the bus back. The parking lots in Magome are more obvious as they're right next to the road. Tsumago's lots are near the river and there are several of different sizes as I remember.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/9/3 15:27
can you recommend hotels in tsumago or nagiso?

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/9/5 14:23
anybody?

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/9/5 14:49
Hi. We stayed at Kisoji which is a bit like an onsen resort. Rooms were good, the food is "viking style" which I wouldnt rave about although breakfast is more traditional and that was great. The hotel is interesting but a long walk from town (Tsumago), maybe 45 minutes or so. They had lots of bunnies and some mountain ponies and a huge boar for which we all felt a bit sorry. The onsens are good.

If I was going back without the kids, I'd probably stay in town at a ryokan instead, but it was pleasant enough and it is always nice to be around japanese families having fun. If I had to choose between staying at Tsumago and Magome, I'd pick Magome which I think is a prettier town, though you'd have to make your own fun as it isnt lively at all.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley / Magome Tsumago Trail Questions 2018/9/6 14:29
thanks for sharing your opinion, but i think i would like to stay in tsumago or nagiso instead. :)
some recommended places for these towns?

reply to this thread