Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa timeline for self + spouse 2018/9/4 00:24
Hi,

I have a fairly complicated situation and am considering a relocation to Japan. I would greatly appreciate assistance with the following questions.

1. I am considering to apply for jobs in Japan from abroad. Assuming I am hired, approximately how long is the processing time for the COE and then the Visa?
2. Does it vary by visa type?
3. Are there any English teaching companies which are capable of sponsoring dependents as part of the applicants COE?
4. I do have the option of traveling to Japan as a visa free national. Would this speed up the process of getting the COE?
5. My intention is to then invite my wife as a dependent. She is not a visa free national. I've read conflicting information online about applying for COE. I.e. would i be required to show 3 months of salary before applying for her COE or I could apply as soon as I started working in Japan?
6. What is the current processing time for dependent COE? (1-3 months? Her nationality is Iranian if it matters)
6. She could also conceivably apply for a tourist visa and then make a change within Japan. As I understand, this is risky? (i.e. her change of status may not be processed in time?)

Thank you very much.
by Checkers444 (guest)  

Re: Visa timeline for self + spouse 2018/9/4 16:49
1. As long as necessary.

2. Probably, but that doesn't matter because there's usually only one visa type that suits your situation, so you can't pick and choose.

3. From what I've read here, yes, there are some.

4. Probably not; in any case if you are in Japan already you don't need a CoE and just apply for a change of status.

6. Yes, that is risky because tourist visas are usually only granted for 15 days, so you would have to file her application pretty much immediately after she arrives, and then that would leave only about two months for the application to be processed (if the change of status is not granted within two months, she must leave and the application is discarded, and no, immigration will not speed up its processing just to suit your schedule).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa timeline for self + spouse 2018/9/5 11:40
Processing time for a CoE is normally stated as three months.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visa timeline for self + spouse 2018/9/5 11:58
Yes, but we see many exceptions here, so it's probably wise to not count on it. There's nothing to gain by assuming your CoE will come in three months except the risk that it will not come and wreck your plans.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread