Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 14:14
Hello!!

Can someone please check my itinerary? Do yo think it is too much?
Should we take something out? Is there anything missing that we should go to/visit? Anything we should swap out for something else??

Will have a JR Pass to get between stops.

Days 1 - 2 (2 nights, 1.5 days): Osaka
Days 3 - 6 (4 nights, 4 days): Kyoto, with day trips to Hiroshima and Nara
Day 7 (1 day, 1 night): Takayama
Day 8: Shirakawago (day) Kanazawa (night)
Day 9 (2 nights, 1 day): Kanazawa
Day 10: Alpine Route (days), Matsumoto (night)
Day 11 (1 night, 1 day): Matsumoto
Day 12 - 16 (4 nights, 4.5 days): Tokyo, with day trips to Nikko and Hakone

Any suggestions, guidance, assurance, anything would be greatly GREATLY appropriated.

Thank you!!!
by CEJ (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 18:09
Where are you from and what is your traveling date? For example if you are from Switzerland and travel on November, Alpine route seems to be boring. You can see snow in your homeland and the Alpine route should be covered with snow and you will just see the white snow. But if you are from some tropical country, the snowy landscape will be interesting.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 18:40
Hi!! We're coming from Australia and will be there October 10 - October 25 this year :)
by Cej (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 22:19
Honestly your itinerary is somewhat difficult to comment. As for traveling pace, it seems to be normal. But if you buy the Japan Rail Pass, it should be 14 days version, 46390 yen. You need additional fee for Takayama-Shirakawago-Kanazawa bus 4320 yen and the Alpine Route ticket (Tateyama Kurobe Option ticket, 9000 yen). I think the Alpine Route is a must for you, but note that the weather might be bad on the day of your trip. Therefore it might be better to take 2-3 days to the Alpine Route.

To make multiple day trip in the Alpine Route, Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass 17500 yen might be a good choice.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_alpen.html

This pass does not cover Kyoto to Nagoya trip so you must buy Shinkansen ticket from Kyoto to Nagoya (about 5000 yen). Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Tourist Pass is valid for 5 days so if you base Toyama 2 nights for the Alpine Route and Takayama 2 nights for Takayama and Shirakawago, you must give up Kanazawa. Also you might better give up Hiroshima this time.

Day 7 Kyoto via Nagoya to Takayama
Day 8 Shirakawago day trip, Takayama
Day 9 Toyama
Day 10 Toyama day trip to the Alpine Route
Day 11 Alpine Route to Matsumoto

Of course this is just my thought so you may think differently. Enjoy planning!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 22:20
Hi CEJ,
Nice to see a fellow Aussie here!

It's normal for people who have limited time and opportunities for travel to create itineraries with lots of lodging location changes in an effort to fit in all the amazing places they'd like to experience. But many discover that it makes for an unnecessarily disorienting and tiring trip to have their lodging in different cities in a foreign country every one to four days.

Frequently changing hotels means frequently spending time and energy locating and checking in to your hotel and unpacking and repacking your bags. It also means frequently having to learn your way around another unfamiliar transportation network, neighborhood and personal living space. Being in such a different country as Japan can be disorienting enough without the challenge of frequently relocating from one city and hotel room to another.

Some people do fine with this, and maybe you already know it works for you. But if you're not a seasoned traveler, you might be surprised how this travel style affects you and your travel partners.

The distances between the places you want to go are small enough that they can all work out as day trips from two or three major cities. So it might be worth considering basing yourself in one city, and in the same hotel, for at least a third, if not half or more of your trip. From a well-chosen base, you'll be able to access countless wonderful experiences, including the places on your tentative itinerary, or others you'd find equally enjoyable, without having to be uprooted frequently.

For example, you could base yourself half the time in one hotel in one city in the Kansai region (maybe in either Kyoto or Osaka) and the other half in one hotel in one city in the Kanto region (maybe in Tokyo). If you were to do that, your itinerary should be no less full and enjoyable, but much more relaxed. Like this:

Nights 1 to 8: Hotel in Osaka or Kyoto
Day trips in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara, Miyajima, Himeji, Koyasan, etc

Nights 9 to 15: Hotel in Tokyo
Day trips in Tokyo, Fuji Five Lakes, Izu Coast (e.g. Jogasaki Kaigan), Nikko, Hakone, Kamakura, Yokohama, etc

When you're based at one hotel for a week or so and the weather interferes with one of your day trips or you find a day isn't enough to do everything you'd like to do at one of your destinations, you'll have the flexibility to change your itinerary, e.g. schedule another day trip to the same place, etc.

If you want to be sure you fit in all the items on your current itinerary you could split your lodging dates between three cities instead of two, with nights 1 to 5 in Osaka or Kyoto, nights 6 to 10 in Toyama (from which you could do day trips to Shirakawago, Takayama, Kanazawa and the Alpine Route) and nights 11 to 15 in Tokyo.

Izu is really a special place, and I encourage you to make it one of your day trips from Tokyo. The coast is so beautiful, even the train ride down the coast is stunning. If you like getting out in nature, izuhike.com has a fantastic coastal hike at Jogasaki Kaigan.

In case you end up going to Fuji Five Lakes, which I highly recommend, bike tours there are not to be missed. I did the tour of two of the lakes with fujibiketour.com, and it was my favorite day of my trip to Japan. On a clear day it really is that kind of place where you can't take a bad photo. Mt Fuji is lovely from there, especially at sunrise and sunset with the lakes in the foreground.

Hope you have a really wonderful trip!

Kristina
by kristina85 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 22:20
By the way, if there's one thing on your itinerary I might suggest skipping, it's Hakone, because views of Mt Fuji from the Five Lakes are typically far better, and the lakes region has more to offer for fun.
by kristina85 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/4 23:18
Personally, changing hotels many times isn't a problem for me. If you pack light, it's not really a hassle.

My concern if I had your itinerary would be that you're trying to tick off as many places as possible without giving much time to do anything other than scratch the surface of any of them.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/5 00:34
Too much, IMO.

I would delete Hiroshima and Hakone. A day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima is possible, but most of that time will be spent on trains. What is your purpose for visiting Hakone? I love Hakone, but the main attraction of Hakone is Onsen. If you are not staying overnight, then I assume you are not going for Onsen. If it is Mt Fuji you want to see, I recommend a day trip to Kawaguchiko (Lake Kawaguchi).
by 3K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Check (too much?) 2018/9/5 07:55
Thanks all!!

Very useful information :)
Now I have quite a bit of thinking and re-planning ahead!

Thanks again :)
by CEJ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread