Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata) - free Sado? 2018/9/8 18:09
Is it free to go to Sado island via Niigata only?
The jr east website does not state the free Sado island period. I will be in Niigata in Oct 2018. Would this be free to Sado island at this time?

I am planning to ride the tub boat and eat fresh sushi and see the spectacular views. Worth the 2 hour trip, ---4 hour return?
by Kitty (guest)  

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata) - free Sado? 2018/9/9 12:28
These additional passes get you to Sado, but the cost you money:
https://sado-pass.visitsado.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata) - free Sado? 2018/9/10 12:33
Niigata to Sado the ships are not JR - the pass link in the above post provides a saving, but is slow on the car ferry. I use the jetfoil for my visits and makes a good day trip as it is only one hour each way from Niigata.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata) - free Sado? 2018/9/10 12:52
The tub boats are in Ogi harbor (where you go from Naoetsu not from Niigata). The ship from Niigata brings you to Ryotsu harbor which is at the opposite tip of Sado island.

IMHO a day trip to Sado island doesn't give it justice. I went last year from 3 days ( http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/10/part-5-day-21-day-25-sa... ) and would say that you should plan at least one night on the island to enjoy the rural atmosphere.

I did not do the tub boat ride, as it was raining and a bit cold, so preferred to soak in a local onsen while waiting for my ship back to Naoetsu. It did look however like a 15 min or so affair. Just riding around a little bit in the harbor. Might be fun, but I don't think that this alone justifies a travel of many hours to Sado.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread