Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/13 04:58
Hello, this is a follow up to a thread I posted on this subject a few months back. I don't know how to add the link here, but you can search by my username.

Since I wrote the initial post, I've acquired my birth certificate, apostiled and translated. It is currently all in Osaka, Japan.

It was my understanding that the documents needed to be left at the Italian Embassy in Tokyo, which would then be forwarded to the consulate in Philadelphia. I believe the agent we spoke to during the interview was specific about this.

However, I was told by my lawyer in Osaka that is handling these documents that in her experience, they can be certified by the Italian consulate in Osaka and then mailed back to me in the US. From there, I could then mail the documents to the Philadelphia consulate.

What is the correct way to make sure the documents get to the consulate in Philadelphia? If the documents need to be left at the Italian Embassy in Tokyo, how can I ensure that they will be correctly forwarded to Philadelphia?

Thank you,
Benjamin Recchi
by brecchi  

Re: Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/14 02:53
Hi Benjamin
I donft have answer to your query but can you share how did you get the birth certificate since the records are destroyed after 10 years?
I am father to kids born in Japan (both parents foreigners) and I am worried that in case any documents are needed in future would there be a way to get from ward office?
by Dad (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/14 09:02
to Dad,
why don't you register your child's birth in your country ?
once the birth was registered in your country, it will prove your child birth in your country.

there is no official birth certificate in Japan, because the government only knows the result of the application of registration of child birth. for Japanese nationals, they will issue a "official" copy of the "registered record" of a child (or any person), which has birth date, birth place, father, mother, applicant, application date, etc. but, it is an accumulated personal information. I think it does not prove the birth. (if someone wants to register a non-existing child, it is possible, if a medical doctor writes a fake birth certificate. of course, it is illegal.)

in any way, the system was improved. the information for foreigners is kept longer recently.
if you are still in Japan, you should have a copy of juminhyo, Z–―•[ for your child future.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/15 02:27
Ken,
Birth has to be registered at the counslate of my country in Tokyo, which I have already done. They also issue a document stating the same however it is still not the birth certificate
Also birth certificate typically has to be issued by municipal office where birth took place. I have done that and also taken 3-4 copies of shussei todoke juri shomeisho by paying 210 yen for each copy

I will try my best not to lose those copies but documents do get lost or destroyed. Birth certificate is such an important document (not in japan though). I just hope ward office do not destroy those records. In any case everything is electronic these days and it almost cost nothing to keep the data.
by Dad (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/15 06:07
Here is what I did:

1. I have an original copy of my Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho which I emailed to a lawyer in Japan.
2. I had the document translated into Italian.
3. I snail-mailed a power of attorney from my father to the lawyer in Japan. No notarization needed. The POA has to be from him because he was the one who filed the document originally. Without this POA form my father, I would need to apply for a Todokedesho Kisaijikou Shomeisho which is a more involved process.
4. Laywer applied for a new Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho which was then apostiled with the Italian translation attached.

And now, I just need to know whether or not to turn in to the Italian Embassy in Tokyo which is then forwarded to Philly, or to have the lawyer certify the documents at the Italian consulate in Osaka (where she is) and mail the documents to me, to be sent to Philly, by me.

Thanks for any help with this. Its been hard to get an answer from the Italian consulate/embassy.
by brecchi rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Birth cert./Italian embassy follow up 2018/9/15 13:07
Here is what I did:

1. I have an original copy of my Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho which I emailed to a lawyer in Japan.
2. I had the document translated into Italian.
3. I snail-mailed a power of attorney from my father to the lawyer in Japan. No notarization needed. The POA has to be from him because he was the one who filed the document originally. Without this POA form my father, I would need to apply for a Todokedesho Kisaijikou Shomeisho which is a more involved process.
4. Laywer applied for a new Shusshou Todoke Juri Shomeisho which was then apostiled with the Italian translation attached.

And now, I just need to know whether or not to turn in to the Italian Embassy in Tokyo which is then forwarded to Philly, or to have the lawyer certify the documents at the Italian consulate in Osaka (where she is) and mail the documents to me, to be sent to Philly, by me.

Thanks for any help with this. Its been hard to get an answer from the Italian consulate/embassy.
by brecchi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread