Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/18 12:29
Hi I would like to get opinions on the itinerary for my upcoming Tohoku trips. Any suggestions on additional places we can squeeze in or if I have too much planned on one day. Especially looking for suggestions for free day in Akita and off the beaten path stuff to do in Tokyo. The cities that I have hotel reserved in is in parentheses. Thank you.

Japan trip 2018
Oct 3, 2018 Fly out
Oct 4 Arrive at Haneda airport (Tokyo)
Oct 5 Free day in Tokyo. Asakura and Kappabashi (Tokyo)
Oct 6 Day trip to Kawagoe. (Tokyo)
Oct 7 Nikko (Utsunomiya)
Oct 8 Catch train to Sendai (Sendai)
Oct 9 Aizu Wakamatsu and Kitakata (Sendai)
Oct 10 Yamadera and Ginzan (Ginzan)
Oct 11 Leave Ginzan and head back to Sendai via Yamagata or some other stop(Sendai)
Oct 12 Visit Matsushima (Sendai)
Oct 13 Catch train to Morioka. Cruise around Morioka, Wanko Soba, Morioka night market. (Morioka)
Oct 14 Visit Genbiki Gorge and catch Pokemon train in Ichinoseki. (Morioka)
Oct 15 Visit Kakunodate and Lake Tazawa (Morioka)
Oct 16 Catch train to Akita. Hang out around Akita station (Akita)
Oct 17 Open to options (Akita)
Oct 18 Take Resort Shirakami to Shin Aomori and proceed to Hachinohe(Hachinohe)
Oct 19 Visit Lake Towada and Oirise stream Do boat ride (Hachinohe)
Oct 20 Catch Resort Unineko to and from Kuji (Hachinohe)
Oct 21 Go to the Wharf market than catch Shikansen to (Tokyo)
Oct 22 Free day, Yanaka Ginza (Tokyo)
Oct 23 Free time until flight Return home
by Masako (guest)  

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/19 11:10
10/8 & 10/9:
I think a day trip to Aizu-wakamatsu from Sendai is too inefficient (at least 2 hr 40 min each way). I suggest to go from Utsunomiya directly to Aizu-wakamatsu and spend a night there.
by redbull (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/19 11:57
Ditto for going from Morioka to Kakunodate, then back to Morioka, then to Akita. That makes no sense; just go to Akita from Kakunodate.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/19 15:59
In Akita, how about going to this place?
NAMAHAGE MUSEUM 
https://www.namahage.co.jp/namahagekan/english/

In the neighboring Oga Shinzan Folklore Museum, you can also see the performance of Namahage.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/20 03:17
Consider adding Gembikei Gorge to your trip, in my opinion, much more scenic than Genbiki Gorge. There is a delightful "tea and treats" pully system that you can use.
by papayahead rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/20 05:39
I personally find Kawagoe deluding and would replace it with Kamakura or simply an other day at Tokyo.

As PPs said your trip in Tohoku seems to involve lot of back tracking.
To me it would make more sense to do :
Aizu Wakamatsu― Yamadera―Ginzan onsen ― Kakunodate ― tazawako ― Hachimantai― oirase ― Aomori― morioka ― Tono― Hiraizumi ― Sendai ― Tokyo. Or some variation of it. But essentially one big loop.

Regarding your free day, you don’t seem to have any day dedicated to onsening. There ar great onsen eg in Hachimantai or Nyuto onsen.

Enjoy your trip to Tohoku!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/20 07:01
Thank you for all of your great suggestions.
@Redbull and Guest It does sound more efficient, I am trying to see if I can change my hotel reservations.
@Guest That museum sounds interesting, would you happen to know how much the taxi ride cost to get to and from the train station to the museum?
@ Papayahead I am getting the name of those two places mixed up LOL. We are going to the one with the mochi in a basket and the other one just to catch the Pokemon train back from. By the way, are you from Hawaii?
@Likebike The only reason i'm going to Kawagoe is because its in Saitama prefecture. I have a goal of going to all of the Japan prefectures. Do you know of anything else to do over there? Your suggested plan does sound efficient but I already have all of my hotels booked. Onsen does sound good, we'll probably need it after all the running around we are doing.
Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it!
by Laurie Lum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/20 14:44
If you want to go to Saitama Prefecture what about Chichibu?
You could visit some of the 34 temples. My personal favorites are the ones around Urayamaguchi station.
Just have a look at descriptions from other posters or this web page.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for Tohoku trip 2018/9/28 09:52
Taxi fares are expensive if you ride normally, but there have a shuttle bus.
"Namahage Shuttle" circulates through a predetermined area from 1,000 yen to 1,500 yen.

https://oganavi.com/namahage_shuttle/
↑Namahage Shuttle(Japanese only page)

https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1022320-d12406165-Review...
↑The place where you can apply is here.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread