Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 07:33
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice.
Ifm a british national who moved to japan in 2015 who married my Japanese partner in January 2014.

I am now currently onenyear into a 3 year spouse visa (I was given 2 x 1 years spouse visa in 2015/2016 and then a 3 year at the end of 2017)

Like most marriages they start out nice, however things soon turned sour. Things finally reached rock bottom 8 months ago when I was strangled. My partner isnft a monster, but I just donft think we are right for eachother.

Maybe some people wonder why I stay in this situation. Even though things like that happend.
I really want to stay in japan. I donft want to go back to England.

Ifve also met Somone else who I love, and want to be with. But Ifm not sure really what my options are....

Ifm not working full time, or for a company.
I own my own fashion brand, and the income is not stable (or substantial). I just look after the house, cook, clean, those kind of things.

The other person I have met is an artist, and they also donft have regular income, and live with their parents.

My current partner works full time for a company.
They took care of all the visa applications and paper work.

I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone could offer me any advice on what my options are to remain in japan and be with the person I really love.

Given my circumstances and situation, Ifm not sure what to do, perhaps I could wait out the storm and apply for PR, or perhaps something else.....

Thanks everyone, look forward to hearing from you.
by Charles (guest)  

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 11:29
Sorry to hear of your situation.

You can either:
- Apply for Permanent Resident status now, as you have already been married over 3 years and living in Japan for at least 1 year, and now have the 3-year Spouse resident status.

You will need some assistance from your Japanese spouse (which I don't know if he is willing to provide to you).

In this case, you'd need to sit down with your spouse to talk things over - that you don't think it is working between the two of you, but that you'd want to continue living in Japan even after separation (no mention of the other man I guess) so could your spouse help you with that, etc...

Or, get divorced, then:
- Apply for long-term resident status, IF your fashion brand is based in Japan and if you could say you have a firm basis of life in Japan, or if you have a child for whom you need to stay in Japan to care for (maybe not applicable to you).
- (If your new partner is willing) get married to him and apply for Spouse status with him.

Or, get divorced (abuse is nothing you would want to tolerate over an extended period of time), and start from scratch there. The income situation of your artist friend might make it difficult for him to say yes to a marriage or to sponsor you as the Japanese spouse. Would you be qualified to find a job on your own? Best wishes.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 12:28
Getting divorced from a Japanese National is not too difficult if you both agree. If you don't agree, then it gets harder.
And, the rules about re-marrying changed in 2016 (down from six months to 100 days for a woman).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 17:21
Hi!
Thank you very much for your reply! And for all the information! I didnft expect such quick replies! Thank you!

Oh! I can apply for perminent residence now! I didnft know that, I thought it had to be allot longer than that. I have mentioned it sometimes to my spouse, but Ifm not sure their earnings are high enough, my partner only earns around \3400000 per year. I remember reading somwhere that the PR is assessed by the amount of our combined earnings and Tax, And I donft earn much at all from my brand at the moment.

Oh! Long term residence. I did a little reaserch about that after you had mentioned it. It seems itfs available For people who choose to devorce. However it seems it is also dependent on the ability to support myself. (Which is totally understandable)

Yes, my brand is only available in japan, And is mostly sold through my online store, but only manage to sell products once in a while. I only make a few \1000 per week.

However I recently signed a contract with a large chain store in japan, to have my items sold. So I might be able to earn a little more from my brand, Ifm not sure if it will be enough to support myself fully at this stage.

Even though my brand isnft lucrative, would that still be a + point towards LTR status?
It seems that most visas require gstable and secureh income. Jobs at a company, or in education. However my situation would probibly be classed as self employed.

I might have to consider another part time job on the side perhaps. Ifm wondering if immigration would consider freelance English teaching/fashion brand . To be an acceptable case for a visa.

But I think your right, it seems that money (or lack of it) is the main issue.

Thank you again for your time! Take care!
by Charles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 17:23
Hello! Thank you for your reply!
Thank you for the information!
Ifm happy to hear devorce isnft a complicated procedure. Perhaps itfs different from my own country.

Take care!

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 18:42
Divorce is not difficult if you both agree. If you want to divorce but your spouse refuses, you'll have to go to court, with everything this entails (procedural delays, lawyer fees, etc.).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/19 21:57
To be honest, I didnft know I could apply for perminent residence now! I didnft know that, I thought it had to be allot longer than that. I have mentioned it sometimes to my spouse, but Ifm not sure their earnings are high enough, my partner only earns around \3400000 per year. I remember reading somwhere that the PR is assessed by the amount of our combined earnings and Tax, And I donft earn much at all from my brand at the moment.

Oh! Long term residence. I did a little reaserch about that after you had mentioned it. It seems itfs available For people who choose to devorce. However it seems it is also dependent on the ability to support myself. (Which is totally understandable)

Yes, my brand is only available in japan, And is mostly sold through my online store, but only manage to sell products once in a while. I only make a few \1000 per week.

However I recently signed a contract with a large chain store in japan, to have my items sold. So I might be able to earn a little more from my brand, Ifm not sure if it will be enough to support myself fully at this stage.

Even though my brand isnft lucrative, would that still be a + point towards LTR status?
It seems that most visas require gstable and secureh income. Jobs at a company, or in education. However my situation would probibly be classed as self employed.

I might have to consider another part time job on the side perhaps. Ifm wondering if immigration would consider freelance English teaching/fashion brand . To be an acceptable case for a visa.

Re: Abuse - Possible Divorce - and Visa changes 2018/9/20 08:36
there is a small but.....

It does not happens often but it can happen.

If you apply PR than it is possible they also will call your partner.
If your partner is informing things the immigration has doubts you will not get you PR.

Again this is case by case and it does not mean it will happen.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread