Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent Residency and cycling 2018/9/22 15:44
In my own country I was cycling alot on a daily basis but here in Japan I've never bought a bike because of the fear that getting a ticket for some inadvertent road violation would jeopardize a future application for a Permanent Visa.
Is my fear a little bit over the top?
A fine can prevent you from getting a PR, right?
by franckfriends (guest)  

Re: Permanent Residency and cycling 2018/9/22 18:59
I have been cycling 3 yrs in Japan and never even met a policeman. Now it depends but if you kind of respect the cycling rules you shouldnft get a fine. And cycling rules in Japan are interpreted quite loosely. Eg you see a lot of people cycling on the sidewalk where it is strictly speaking not allowed (depending on the sidewalk) or in opposite direction.
There isnft a lot you can do wrong in a bicycle in Japan. Unless you steal one.
Also get your bicycle registered with a local bike shop.

Now if a find would have any impact on PR is a different topic on which I have no experience but I would guess that it takes more than a fine. Drunken riding might not be a good idea.

Enjoy cycling through Japan.

And if you like some suggestions where to go, maybe you can find some on my blog:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Residency and cycling 2018/9/25 08:46
Im from the Netherlands and cycling is part of life :)

I bought my bike the moment arrive.
never had any issues. Even I when I drive on the main road or sidewalk.

Just simply follow the standard rules such as not using phone or use of headphone etc.

You will be fine
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Residency and cycling 2018/9/25 13:30
and yes a fine can prevent you from getting a PR
Nobody knows what kind of fine will prevent you from getting your PR
red light or something smaller, I do not know
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread