Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long-term internet options 2018/9/24 13:00
Hi,

I will be moving to a new apartment in a few days and would like to get high-speed internet sorted out asap. Moving to Kanagawa (near Saginuma or Tama Plaza Stations, 5 story mansion, built 2017).

I have been searching internet for information and have a good general idea what my options are but my Japanese language skills are poor so still get confused with the details.

My options seem to be hikari fiber or Wimax2+. Wimax2+ I pretty much understand the pros and cons.

My apartment seems to be wired up for fiber directly to the room...

1. Does that mean I can use any Flets or AU Hikari ISP?
2. Will I have to pay installation charge even though it's wired up already?
3. Is there an English website where I can check what's available at my address?
4. Can I change ISP anytime without fee whilst keeping the same line?

Note. I already have basic smartphone plan with OCN Mobile One. I'd rather not sign-up for 3 year plan.

Thank you for any help :)
by SZQ  

Re: Help with long-term internet options please 2018/9/25 07:35
Hi, SZQ.
I'm Japanese working in tokyo for over a decade.

Let me answer to your question.
Plz note that this is a basic feedback so you need to confirm each with more accurate data source (ex. contacting with AU Hikari directly).

1. Does that mean I can use any Flets or AU Hikari ISP?
>Technically yes.
But you better off to confirm it with the owener of the apratment.

2. Will I have to pay installation charge even though it's wired up already?
>Technically yes if your rooter on your room already has the port for Hikari (like this): https://bit.ly/2zroT0k

Still, you need to pay 2,000JPY for service fee.
Again, you better off to confirm it with the au thru: https://www.au.com/english/internet/auhikari/

Or, how about contacting NTT OCN about it as you use OCN mobile?
https://flets.com/english/

3. Is there an English website where I can check what's available at my address?

At this point, I cannot find that.
If you allow me to, I can check that instead of you.

4. Can I change ISP anytime without fee whilst keeping the same line?

>It depends. Some ISP charge you a penalty fee if you quit a contract within a certain contract period.

Hope they help.

by Gatigati rate this post as useful

Re: Help with long-term internet options please 2018/9/25 11:27
Hi Gatigati,

Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful and I appreciate it.

I wanted to have internet sorted out within a couple of days after I move-in but I think that's impossible :)

Thank you for the photo. I will move-in on Friday so can check again what is installed and also with the building management as you suggested. 2,000 JPY is no problem. It's the 15,000-30,000 installation fee that I hope to avoid paying.

For the ISP, I just want something that is good speed and stable. I will be using for general web browsing, streaming, and working from home some evenings.

AU Hikari seems to have good reviews and not too congested. I will enquire with them first and if it's not available then try NTT OCN.

Do you know if it's possible to get Wimax2+ on a temporary basis, for 1 month only?
by SZQ rate this post as useful

Re: Help with long-term internet options please 2018/9/25 23:07
Hi, SZQ. Good to hear that my reply helped somehow.

About your "Wimax2+ on a temporary basis, I searched in Japanese.
Although it technically able to do it, a total fee will be very pricey because they includes a penalty and service fee, etc.

How about renting a pocket WiFi router for that temporarily needs?
Their prices are very reasonable and no need to contract. Plus, some providers give you a full refund if you find that you cannot get connected.

In you get interested in , this chart might help you.

Japan Rental Pocket WiFi Routers Comprehensive Comparison Lists
https://prepaidsim.visitjapanplaces.com/wifi

As for ISP, I am using ASAHI net for over 5 years in a 9 story mansion, built in 1978.
Always good speed and stable.

Re: Help with long-term internet options please 2018/9/26 12:05
Hello Gatigati,

Thank you again :) That chart is great! I will get a rental pocket WiFi for two weeks.

I got a response from AU and they say their optical fiber service is not available in my building unfortunately.

Asahi Net looks good and they provide English support so that's perfect. I will contact them also.

Thank you

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/9/26 21:14
Hey SZQ, great to hear that my reply helped you some.

Hope you'll get comfortable internet life, and be my comrade in the ASAHI net, haha.

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/16 11:21
Hello again,

I ended up joining Asahi Net! Although my japanese language skills are improving, their English support was too tempting :) and their prices good too.

Not connected yet though because NTT cannot install until 29th October. Installation cost will be 15K (I think that means building is connected but room is not so some work required).

I had a pocket wifi with LightPocket (thank you Gatigati) for a couple of weeks which was great but decided not to extend to save a bit of money. Relying on my mobile data for the next two weeks.

A quick related question; I am with OCN Mobile One (voice + data, 110 mb per day plan). If I go over the daily limit will they start charging for the data amount used or throttle the speed instead? I want to avoid a large bill. Throttled speed I don't mind as I only require messaging and basic web browsing for now.

Thanks!

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/17 07:19
Hi, SZQ.

Glad to hear you join Asahi net, which is the same with me haha.

Let me answer your quick question.

>If I go over the daily limit will they start charging for the data amount used or throttle the speed instead?

According to their explanation, they do not charge you automatically if you go over. However, your data speed will be limited to 200kbps, with which you can still use text mail, LINE, Twitter, IP phone, etc somehow.

If you cannot endure that lowered speed, you can but their additional data plans, which can be purchased through their app.

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/17 11:12
Thank you again Gatigati!

That's good to know. I can deal with throttled speed :)

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/29 11:00
Hello again,

Getting my internet installed soon!

I was just wondering, do NTT or Asahi Net provide a wifi router for the FLETS Hikari Next service or just a modem (if that's how it works here)?

If not, does anyone have any recommendations so I can buy my own? Preferably a brand/model that has an English web interface. I heard Google Wifi is available in Japan. Is that any good? Also, I read on Asahi website that I may need to change the MTU value to 1454. Does the Google router allow you to change this value?

Thank you :)

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/29 21:27
It's ok. The NTT device has a wifi router built-in.

Re: Long-term internet options 2018/10/30 07:05
thank you
by aronsasla rate this post as useful

reply to this thread