Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 11:06
Hello,

Sunday morning we are traveling from himeji to onomichi. Since Onomichi is a coastal town is it save to stay there during the typhoon or would it be smarter to try to stay an other night at Himeji?

Thanks,

Dennis
by goossens86  

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 14:56
I'm sure it will be safe. Seeing that the typhoon looks on course to track up the entire country staying in Himeji wont make much difference. I wouldnt change my plans. (Thinks about a Kamichu reference, thinks better of it)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 15:21
Still don't know the exact course.
http://weathernews.jp/typhoon/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNsidkYpIAQ4QaufptQBPHQ
https://youtu.be/5qXhvemgLpc
In Japan, typhoon names are not called by nicknames,
this typhoon is "台風24号 (taifuu nijuuyon-go, = tyhoon No.24)".
"暴風域(bou-huu-iki)" means affected area.

However, as expected it will be greatly affected whichever you are in.
Only heavy rain and strong winds, no worry about high waves.
Himeji is a bit safer in the present expectation,
but the progressing speed of the typhoon is not always the same.
It is also pointed out that the risk of redevelopment is predicted.
by Minashiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 19:55
Thanks for the comments and explaining. We are going to change our plans just a little bit. Choosing to stay an extra night at himeji and skipping our night in onomichi. This way we won’t have to travel during the typhoon.

We won’t be doining the cycle route to imabari anyway because of the typhoon.
by goossens86 rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 20:40
Fair enough. If the Typhoon has blown through then Onimichi is well worth the visit anyway.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/28 21:58
Onomichi was hit quite hard with torrential rains in early July and the town was without water for roughly 7 days. With parts of Onomichi being on hills, the threat of landslides is quite possible. They have already cancelled some festivities (the 7th National Costume Competition and the 8th Sake festival) that were to take place the 29th and 30th of September in Onomichi city. Rail transport into Onomichi from the west is still hampered by landslides and I am sure that disruptions in the rail network will be announced as the storm approaches.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/29 09:07
The typhoon is passing quite close to Himeji and Onomichi. Therefore, I think there is a high risk that train service in the area will be stopped temporarily. I would not expect to be able to do anything on Sunday, and instead be prepared to spend the entire day indoors. But Monday should be okay again.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Typhoon Trami - safe to go to Onomichi? 2018/9/29 11:51
Thanks everyone,

We are on our way to Himeji, going to see the castle today. Tomorrow we’ll stay indoors. We’ve brought some books :).

Monday we’ll continue our trip, goining to Hiroshima and making some stops on the way. Depending on the situation we might visit kurashiki and onomichi than.

by goossens86 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread