Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/28 21:17
My office would be in Azabu Juban and I want to live there and walk to work. I have a family and 2 kids so need a spacious place. We travel as a family twice a year overseas together. We shall send our kids to international school funded by ourselves. I just worry this salary is on the low side....
by David (guest)  

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 09:36
Note that it is a good wage but I would research how much international schools in Tokyo cost along with taxes. Note that even if your company pays for your child's tuition, it's still taxable.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 11:51
Yeah, Definitely low end. I mean Azabu is so low tier really, maybe you can only afford a 100 sqm mansion on the 30th floor and sorry but youfll have to share the sidewalk with the rest of the people. Ifm sorry you donft make enough to buy the sidewalk for yourself. Any other wishes?

Now seriously. How does someone earning your salary has no idea about how much that means?
by Total poverty (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 12:36
As a Japanese with medium wage, 18 million yen per year is very high. But if you want to live in a good spacious apartment in Azabu Juban neighborhood, it will be another story. I checked the fare of apartments (around 100 sqm), and found that it will be 0.5 to 1 million yen per month. So if you live in 1 million apartment, you will have 6 million yen per year. I don't know about the international school, but it should be 1 million yen per year for 1 child and two international family travel will cost 2 million yen. I think with 18M wage, you might better discard the idea of living in a good apartment in Azabu. There should be less expensive neighborhoods in Tokyo.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 12:42
Hi David,

I'll give you more of a breakdown.

The biggest consideration will be the cost of education. International schools are relatively expensive and remember they get no money off governments and the like. Costs per child will range from 1 million a year (for an Indian School) to around 2-3.5 million a year for a normal international school. The standout schools in Tokyo include TIS (Tokyo International School - only to Grade 8), Yokohama International School (longer commute), ASIJ (American International School in Japan), St Marys (Catholic Boys School), Seisen (Catholic Girls School) and a few others. There are also often large endowment costs as well to consider. If you want more explicit info on international schools in Japan - message me via Personal Message as there are some schools to stay clear from. I would not post this on a public forum.

Taxes can be worked out by searching for a Tokyo Ward Tax Calculator. There are two types of taxes, National and Ward Taxes (basically city council taxes). I cannot confirm how much you will be paying as your above the pay bracket I was in but I'd guess it would be above 20% in total.

If your after accommodation with 3 bedrooms, it really depends where you want to stay and what type of accommodation you wish to live in. Unfortunately, this will come down a lot to which school you will probably choose for your kids. I know of many people who have moves accommodation after a couple of years as they chose accommodation too far for their kids to travel to school. Remember it's easier for us to travel further than the kids.

Another thing to consider is that most apartments in Japan come furnished with NOTHING. Not even light fittings. This means it's expensive to set up unless you stay in an expensive executive apartment. Expect to pay 200,000 Yen a month +++ for accommodation. Older Japanese style accommodation is often cheaper. The further you are from a train station, the cheaper it is. Also, many people do not have cars in Japan which is another expense to consider.

On a positive note, I found Japan not that expensive to live in ONCE you had set yourself up.

Note that I used to be an international teacher living in the Tokyo/Yokohama area a few years ago.

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 15:10
David,

Have you looked on the web at the Real Estate pages, Plaza Homes, Ken Corp, and checked out the accommodation. Remember this is all a new experience for you and your family. There is so much more to gain than just wanting a replica of what you've had in your own country. Look at the two subway lines that pass through Azabu Juban, the Oedo line and the Nambuku Line, and see the stations, a couple of stops out, and ask at the leasing company about rental properties there. So many western people who are on expat salaries, and funded by companies, can choose the nearby expensive properties, of Roppongi Hills, as the company is paying for everything, but as @mfedley explained look for something a little older (but always well functioning and clean.) and you may not have to pay key money or bonds, as well you maybe able to negotiate.

Depending on the age of your children, Nishimachi International School is in Azabu Juban. Friends of mine sent their children there, it was pretty costly, but it served to allow the parents to make friends also, friends they have to this day.
As for the overseas holidays, try something different. There is a lot of Japan to venture into, as nearby Asian countries that don't cost a fortune to fly to.
It would be a pity to deny yourself and the family the great experiences of living in Japan, and traveling around, just to want to have thing duplicated as you had in your home country. If your partner is not going to be in paid employment then I'm sure he/she could accompany the kids to school and back if they are too young to travel alone

Lastly for cheaper furniture, check Sayonara Sales, when families have to move on they often sell house lots of hardly used items at discounted prices. They are found on the notice boards of International supermarkets and in the advertising pages of the free English language magazines that are published weekly/monthly. Good Luck
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 18M yen good in Tokyo? 2018/9/29 15:37
I should have added Nishimashi to the list I had above. It's definitely more Japanese than some of the other international schools in Tokyo, but not in a bad way. From memory, that was it's main purpose when it was first opened (to bring expat and local kids into contact with one another).

It's main weakness is that the school only goes up to Grade 9 - and I don't know the age of your kids.

reply to this thread