Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 04:48
I've been really interested in working in Japan for a while now, but I don't have a college degree.
I've been reading through forums and different posts with some mixed answers, some people say if you have experience and some sort of English teaching certification you can get a visa if a company will sponsor you. Many others have just straight up said you have to have a degree no buts. Also as I have seen, some people have mentioned having a Japanese spouse ( I do not). That said, is there absolutely no possibility of me teaching English in Japan without a degree?
by DanJpan  

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 09:43
That said, is there absolutely no possibility of me teaching English in Japan without a degree?

If you do not have a Japanese spouse, then NO. You need a degree and a sponsor. You know, same rules apply in Amurika, even if I am a good web developer, I still need a bachelor's degree to get a H-1B visa, I want to teach in Amurika, I need a degree.

A lot of westerners seem to see Japan as a court of miracles where people who are not even qualified to flip burgers can get a job just like that. It's not the case. They are selective when it comes to immigration...just like you people in Amurika.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 14:26
The above is false, at least as far as immigration is concerned. You can get "International Service" (sub)status to teach at eikaiwa and similar places with three years of teaching experience.

But of course you still need an employer like everyone else, which will likely be more difficult to find without a degree, though a teaching certification might help.

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 14:57
I think you could ask a better place than here. However, by a very quick google research, you seem to need a bachelor's degree to get a any kind of formal teaching job, irrespective of your eagerness. I took a English conversation class in a small English school a few years ago, but I remember all the teachers graduated a university. The company is relatively popular here and has a number of chain schools across Japan, and employed many young Philippine people, who were nice and spoke English well, but I'd rather have liked to speak with native English speakers. You may have a chance to teach English in Japan, but as for the visa, I'm not sure. Good luck.
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 15:25
However, by a very quick google research, you seem to need a bachelor's degree to get a any kind of formal teaching job, irrespective of your eagerness.

The fact that you used Google shows you don't know what you are talking about. If you did, you'd have just looked at the one and only relevant source.

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/9/30 15:48
You can get "International Service" (sub)status to teach at eikaiwa and similar places with three years of teaching experience.
If you know some eikaiwa companies that accept foreigners without degrees, please share names here, I am curious....Gaba? Certainly not, Berlitz? No. Aeon? Names please.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/1 11:06
Gaba website is stated preferred, so yes there are. Just you need to be native

General eligibility criteria:

-Must be of native level English proficiency (both spoken and written)
-Availability during hours of peak operation is highly desirable
-Must be comfortable using a computer
-University graduates preferred
-CELTA, TEFL or TESOL certification highly valued
-Japanese bank account required
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/1 12:22
You may refer to this site.

https://www.gabateachinginjapan.com/visas/

To qualify, the applicant must have a university degree or 3 years of verifiable full-time experience teaching the English language. To allow for both the application and visa sponsorship process, applicants should apply 3 to 5 months prior to their desired commencement date.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/1 12:55
I disagree about the qualification.
It is a standard which they try to get higher educational people.

But if you have good experience than you can also apply.

Than you may explain me why there are people working working for English school such as Gaba and AEON etc without a university degree?

I know because my daughter is going to such after English school and I know teachers who are native but just did not had the university degree. They have a good history of teaching,

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/1 15:33
Than you may explain me why there are people working working for English school such as Gaba and AEON etc without a university degree?

Are you asking me? I just copy/pasted Gaba's explanation, since you introduced Gaba. They (not me) wrote "a university degree or 3 years of verifiable full-time experience teaching the English language" and I don't know whether this is true or not. I think this is their requirement but other companies have other standard, and even Gaba might have had other criteria in the past (or even at present).
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/1 15:57
That is the problem with just copy and paste.
There are many ways, and people always say you need university degree but not always it is required.

For sponsorship than yes you need to have a university degree since the competition is high, but if you are already life in Japan than most doors are open.

Re: English teacher in Japan with no degree 2018/10/2 09:49
If you can get a (working) visa, then you can get a job. Depending on your age and what country you are from, you may be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa.
by dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread