Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Thru Pass: Kyoto - Arima Onsen - Osaka bus? 2018/10/10 09:32
Hi,
I have never used any buses in Japan before and normally go for JR pass. But, this trip in Kansai making JR pass quite inconvenient. I read that Kansai Thru Pass can be use on buses in Kansai area. However, I also read in here differently about using it for direct buses. My plan is
D1 Kyoto to Arima onsen- Keihan or Hankyu direct bus 1,800 Y (a trip around Kyoto or Kyoto Ohara in the morning)
D2 Arima onsen to Osaka, Hankyu bus 1,370Y
D3 Koyasan (heritage pass 2,860Y)
D4 around Osaka city and taking Nakai train to KIX 920Y+

I plan to use KTP on D1-3 which will worth its price.

Is it usable for those direct buses?
If not, what is the better options?
Thank you for all the answer.
by Chiffon (guest)  

Re: Thru Pass: Kyoto - Arima Onsen - Osaka bus? 2018/10/10 12:52
D1 Kyoto to Arima onsen- Keihan or Hankyu direct bus 1,800 Y (a trip around Kyoto or Kyoto Ohara in the morning)
D2 Arima onsen to Osaka, Hankyu bus 1,370Y

I am afraid this bus is not covered by Kansai Thru Pass.
Read the Kansai Thru Pass PDF which states you can not
use Arima Express Line. These buses are "express" type
which require seat reservation.

But alternatively you can use conventional railways (Hankyu
and Kobe Electric Railway). You will need several transfers
and take more time, but they are covered by the pass.

One more note: If you take the express pass, you might not be
able to carry large baggages etc (I believe this risk is rather low).

https://www.hankyubus.co.jp/en/arima-kyoto.html

D3 Koyasan (heritage pass 2,860Y)
D4 around Osaka city and taking Nakai train to KIX 920Y+

I would use the pass for Day1 (you can also use it within Kyoto),
Day3 and Day4 and use the Express bus on Day2.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Thru Pass: Kyoto - Arima Onsen - Osaka bus? 2018/10/10 16:00
Thank you so much!

Actually on the D1 I am still on the last day of my JR Kansai Wide Area Pass. Just want to take a bus for convenient sake. In that case, do you think I should use it to reach Shin-Kobe and the connect multiple trains to Arima.

And then use it on D3-4. Or just buy 2D KTP?

Any special passes, local ones? That can be used from Shin-Kobe to Arima then back to Osaka?

by Chiffon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Thru Pass: Kyoto - Arima Onsen - Osaka bus? 2018/10/10 17:59
Honestly your questions are hard to answer :).

Actually on the D1 I am still on the last day of my JR Kansai Wide Area Pass. Just want to take a bus for convenient sake. In that case, do you think I should use it to reach Shin-Kobe and the connect multiple trains to Arima.

JR Kansai Wide Area Pass does not cover Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shinosaka though you can take conventional rail. So we can't search the route from Kyoto to Arimaonsen directly. Below is from Shin-Osaka to Arimaonsen.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHIN-OSAKA&arv_...

As you see you must do 3 transfers which do not include transfer at Shin-Osaka which is usually not so convenient.

So, JR Kansai Wide Area Pass + non JR trains: 100+ min, 4 transfers, 740 yen.
Hankyu Express Bus: 75 min, no transfer, 1800 yen.

It's your choice.

And then use it on D3-4. Or just buy 2D KTP?

If you use the KTP in Kyoto, such as from the city center to Ohara and back, it will pay off since you must pay for Shin-Kobe (or Sannomiya) to Arimaonsen anyway. JR Kansai Wide Area Pass has very little meaning since if you take the KTP, you can do the trip with only KTP (by Hankyu instead of JR, that is).

Any special passes, local ones? That can be used from Shin-Kobe to Arima then back to Osaka?

Of course KTP can do that, but you can't use Express bus. As far as I know there is no pass including the Arima Express bus.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Thru Pass: Kyoto - Arima Onsen - Osaka bus? 2018/10/11 09:39
Thank you so much!
by chiffon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread