Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 16:34
Now as each plate of sushi costs only 100 yen, I can safely assume that the fish served will not be top grade. Is it possible that sushi restaurants serve fish that no Japanese will dare to buy such as those caught from near Fukushima? I understand that a worker died from exposure to radiation...

My second question is, besides raw fish, do they serve cooked food on conveyor belt/upon request?
E.g.: Sweet bean curd skin stuffed with rice or sweet corn. I will be bringing my 4 year old child along & I do not think she dares to eat raw fish.
by lim (guest)  

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 19:03
1. Not all sushi is raw fish, you can eat cooked fish, or other ingredients. Egg is a favourite.

2. A worker died from exposure, nobody has died from eating sushi as far as Ifm aware.

3. The majority of cheap sushi is probably about as safe as expensive sushi.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 19:37
Agree with Liz... but maybe even safer than the high-end sushi shops that are not chain establishments. Chain establishments will have well developed purchasing and inspection and a lot more to lose if something is slipped in.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 21:54
I understand that a worker died from exposure to radiation
who was dead ???
I think no one.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 22:22
Regarding worker death, this might refer to this news: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/japan-admits-that-fukush...

But definitely no connection to sushi.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/11 22:23
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/12 16:04
I rather eat the 100 yen Sushi in Japan than I eat the Sushi in Europe.
In Europe I am really sure it is less fresh
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/16 05:45
As the prior posts have said, you have nothing to worry about. As for cooked food, yes. Just take a look at the menu at Kura Sushi, one of the conveyor belt sushi chains.

http://translate.kura-corpo.co.jp/LUCKURACO/ns/tl.cgi/http://www.kura-...

Not only do they have the typical cooked sushi's like egg, sea eel, and shrimp, there are tempura, beef, and pork nigiri's. And there is a whole side menu of non sushi items, like beef bowl and tempura, as well.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/16 06:18
* Kura "z"ushi, not "s"ushi
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/16 09:25
what does it matter if someone makes a typo.
People still understand the statement.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/16 16:45
Hi taco grande

Is the menu pasted outside the restaurant window or placed on a stand? Or is the menu inside an iPad which makes it awkward for people to leave if they are already seated?

Is there a service charge when dining at restaurants? In my country it is 10%.

And are all restaurants smoke-free? Or should I ask the waiter the following question while I am still outside - subete wa kinen seki desu ka.
by Lim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/16 16:46
Yes justmyday

I fully agree with you. It is not a big error. Anyone can understand it easily. Some people just love to nit pick isn't it?
by Lim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 yen sushi restaurants 2018/10/18 03:13
Hi Lim,

I have only been to a few of these places, so my memory is a little vague. I certainly remember the touch screen ordering system, but cannot remember if there were menus posted outside or right as you walk in.

No service charge. Restaurants in Japan do not charge such things. No need to tip, either.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe many of the conveyor belt sushi restaurants are smoke free. They want the restaurant to be family friendly and although, the food on the conveyor belt have clear plastic lids over them, they do not want any of the smoke smell getting on the food. In fact, Sushiro's website states that they are smoke free. Could not find anything on the Kura's website. If you want to make sure, though, I would ask or look for the smoke fee symbol posted on the entrance.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

reply to this thread