Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/22 02:42
Planning to visit kyoto and tokyo to photograph koyo mid november. I have heard that the recent typhoon made all the tree leaves fall very early and that it would affect koyo - is there any truth to that ? thanks in advance for your help!
by Nicolas (guest)  

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/22 07:35
I have heard that the recent typhoon made all the tree leaves fall very early

I recommend you to switch to a more trustworthy source for your news! It is absolute nonsense.

Yes, the typhoon took down some leaves. More in some regions than others. However, only a minority of leaves were taken down. Certainly not all. It is true, though, that the autumn colors are not looking quite as full in some of the places than they usually do. But I think they are still worth a trip.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/22 10:43
What a silly assertion - I agree with Uji, get a more reliable source.
As a foot-note to your post, I did have some nice (early) autumn leaf viewing last week on a leg between Takayama and Matsumoto - the higher elevations and cooler temperatures making for some nice colour in already beautiful scenery.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/22 14:59
Plus leaves regrow...
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/22 19:07
Your question is not silly but just misleading.

It's not that the typhoon "blew off" all the leaves (and the OP is not even saying that). The typhoon did affect a lot of trees. For example, here in Yokohama, the typhoon brought in a great amount of sea wind, and a lot of the trees suffered salt damage (or at least they look like it). In our neighborhood, leaves are simply drying off their trees. And, no, these leaves do not grow again before winter.

In other years, deciduous tree (trees of which leaves fall and become bare in winter) would have leaves turning red, and then those leaves fall to the ground. But this year, a lot of the leaves are falling without turning red, or they are turning brown instead of red.

But this is NOT HAPPENING TO ALL TREES. A lot of resorts including Kyoto are already scheduling "light-up" events for night-time viewers, and the forecast says that trees in a lot of temples are already beginning to turn red.

I'm afraid I was only able to find info in Japanese language, but in the following website, the maple leaf icons on your right-hand shows how red it is as of the date on the further right at places on the left.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/23 10:58
The OP question was not silly - but the information the OP was given was. Certainly there were lots of leaves that were blown off a lot of trees, but not enough to seriously affect the autumn leaf season.
The winds across Japan were only in the 150 kmph range (plus or minus - some up to 50m/s) and many places experience that on a regular basis (like my house in my home country) - the trees/plants don't lose [i]all[/i] their leaves due to winds like that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Koyo affected by typhoon? 2018/10/23 21:38
Sorry, I forgot to post the link on my previous message. Here it is.
https://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/kp/koto/momiji/index.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread