Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use Japanese appliances in the UK? 2018/10/22 20:28
We have been living in Japan and will be moving back to the UK which has 230-240V supply, but there are also shaver sockets that are 110-115V (I think). Will the appliances work in the UK shaver socket? (a waffle maker and a microscope)
Actually, both appliances were bought from the US via the internet, but have worked fine here in Japan as the supply voltage is about the same.
by Nathanael Ayling (guest)  

Re: Can I use Japanese appliances in the UK? 2018/10/23 09:08
No
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Japanese appliances in the UK? 2018/10/24 05:12
Probably NO - but each device should have a small label that indicates the power requirement. If it does not also list 220/240, then NO.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Japanese appliances in the UK? 2018/10/24 05:40
You can buy though a power converter, then you can use them in the UK. Just depends if the hassle and cost of it is worthwhile.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Japanese appliances in the UK? 2018/10/29 06:15
For the waffle iron you need a specific transformer (240 to 100V). Most likely with a high Wattage. These are expensive. For the microscope maybe you use a powerblock or poweradapter (for example 100V AC to 12 V DC). If this is the case you just buy a new powerblock/adapter in the UK.
In this forum there are many discussions on using Japanese electric equipment (like washlets, cookers etc) in the US or Europe. Just search on 'transformer' or so.
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread