Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/10/25 05:28
Hello!

We will be taking our kids (9 and 11) to Japan for a quick 10 day trip in Spring. (late March through early April). Both my husband and I have been to Japan a few times so we are looking for ideas that would still be a good introduction to Japan for our kids but aren't necessarily itineraries aimed toward 1st time visitors.

We fly in and out of Narita and will be staying the first 3 nights in Tokyo.

Rough plans are:

Day 1 - arrive Tokyo late afternoon
Day 2 - Tokyo
Day 3 - Tokyo
Day 4 - activate rail pass and head to Kyoto - stay Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto and stay in Kyoto
Day 6 - Shinkansen to Hiroshima - stay Hiroshima
Day 7 - Miyajima - stay Hiroshima
Day 8 - Shinkansen to Osaka - stay Osaka
Day 9 - Osaka - stay Osaka
Day 10 - Shinkansen back to Tokyo - flight late afternoon.

Both my husband and I have visited all of the above places so we are thinking maybe we should make some changes. We also know we may get lucky which cherry blossom season. Any advice on things we could consider adding in or swapping out keeping in mind that we are traveling with kids? Was looking at perhaps Fuji 5 lakes. Maybe renting bikes for a day and exploring? Or Hakone? Tips, advice or suggestions welcome!
by Cho (guest)  

Re: Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/10/25 10:58
Anything will be an introduction to Japan for the kids. And they will enjoy almost anything at there ages.

But ask them what they would be keen on seeing/doing.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/10/25 12:00
Hi!

Personally, I would figure out what exactly you want to do and then try to work out an itinerary. Your children are old enough that you really can ask their opinions to get some idea what they would enjoy.

Considering you only have 8 full days in Japan perhaps slightly less aggressive touring? I'd been to Japan many times before I took my 5 year old in 2016, but am still working out how to balance our interests. Honestly, with only 8 full days and flights in/out of Tokyo, I might consider just touring around the Kanto area or maybe include Nagano and visit the snow monkeys. Do you live somewhere that gets snow, or someplace where snow is rare?

We fly to/from the USA and I know my child would not be terribly enthused about taking the train from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Narita, and then sitting on a plane for a long time to the USA. If your return flight is not terribly long , then that might not make a difference, but if it is and your children are not used to long flights, why have them sitting for additional time right before a flight like that?

If you or your children would be interested in flower viewing, Kairakuen in Mito should be still having their ume festival and Shinjuku Gyoen has some amazing momo that blooms a little earlier than sakura. Hakone can get crowded in late March, it's a school break time and it is a popular destination.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/10/29 10:24
I've taken out children more than a dozen times to Japan the below links are some of the places we've enjoyed. Having said that some of out happiest days have been spent in gardens just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

A hands on science museum in Osaka
http://www.kidsplaza.or.jp/en/

Osaka aquarium, I'm not a fan of aquariums but I've enjoyed this one multiple times.
https://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/

Walking the whole trail of Fushimi Inari in Kyoto has been enjoyed by my children.

There's a toy museum that's very hands on in Shinjuku that we like and it has little workshops you can join in on the day.
http://goodtoy.org/ttm/

We have also done Kidzania in Tokyo, may or may not interest your children but we booked tickets ahead of time.
http://www.kidzania.jp/tokyo/en/

And of course all the typical adventures like the Ghibli Museum, Disneyland and Sea, Sanrio Puroland.

But like I said at the start things like peddling the swan boats in the lake at Kichijoji Park while the cherry blossoms floated down on us is up there with one of our stand out moments.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/11/9 19:24
Perhaps a daytrip to Nara (because deer)?

Or a hands-on experience, like the Kyo-Yuzen Workshop in Kyoto, or something similiar.
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary suggestions with kids 2018/11/9 19:55
I would skip Osaka and make Kyoto or Hiroshima longer.
From Hiroshima can make nice daytrips - to Tomonoura if they like Ponyo (you can do also small island-trip there).
Even Kibi Plain bike trip - one favourite for sure - easy ride between fields, enjoying nature.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread