Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Motor home trip in November 2018/10/26 00:50
a family of 5 going on a 4 weeks trip in November. looking for ideas for rote from Tokyo to south not through highways but the countryside and nature and villages.
by tcorcia  

Re: Motor home trip in November 2018/10/26 15:10
Where are you starting? Going off the highways is slow going and you aren't going to cover a lot of distance in a day on back roads outside of Hokkaido. If you have to go through any of the large urban areas, use the highways - it's worth the money to save time, gas, and aggravation. It took me a half day once to drive across the Miura Peninsula from Kanazawa to Kamakura as the road was mainly a parking lot. One person got fed up and decided to walk instead of sitting in the car. We eventually picked him up.

If you start in Narita, you can head north toward Nikko, which is on the edge of the urbanized Kanto. From there, you can go into the mountains, see old mines at Ashio, make your way to Nagano & Matsumoto, head down the Kiso Valley or drive up over the pass and down into Hida-Takayama. Or you could head toward Kanazawa and head north to drive around the Noto Peninsula, noted for its terraced fields and lacquerware.

You could continue north heading for the Mt. Bandai area in Fukushima and then continue north to Hachimantai and Lake Towada.

Whichever way you go, the northernmost and higher elevation areas are going to start picking up snow by the end of November, so you'd want to do them first and head south. Also, the roads through the mountains are windy and slow and sometimes steep, so you can spend a lot of time driving. To save time, I would use the highways to get to a region of interest, and then drop onto the 2 and 1-lanes to explore. For example, on my Honda 750 it took a full day of riding to make it from Tokushima on the east coast of Shikoku to just beyond Kochi City because we road the road past Mt. Tsurugi down the center of the island. It was really pretty, but it was slow. We thought we were going to get to Sukumo for the ferry, but not that day.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread