Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/27 21:23
I'm a student from India. I am fluent in English and in my native language which is Hindi. I know conversational Japanese and I plan to get fluent at it till mid-2019. I also plan on learning Spanish and French which will make me a polyglot. I'm going to get a bachelor's degree in English and also a tefl after I finish school and will teach English by the side , giving me 3 years of experience in both online and offline teaching. I don't have any issues with accents I can speak in both British and American accent.
Will all this be enough for me to get an English teaching job in Japan? And if not ,what qualifications will help me become highly employable despite of being a non native speaker?
Sorry for the long question 😅
by Arpk  

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/28 21:33
If you are a non-native speaker of the English language, if you apply for a position looking for native speakers, you will need to have 8 or 12 years (forgot the exact number) of education "in" English (meaning educated "in" the English language, not studying the English language as a subject) to show that you are equivalent to one.

You say you will have a bachelor's degree (this doesn't have to be language related by the way), so that part is no problem. (It is "either" a bachelor's degree OR 3 or more years of language teaching experience that is required).

It will be a matter of finding an employer who is interested in your background and is willing to hire & sponsor you when you actually come to Japan. So the demand for teachers at the time when you are ready will play a role. Just one thing to note is that you will be competing against native speakers of English for teaching positions.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/28 21:54

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/29 06:28
The two Indian schools that I know of are:
India International School in Japan
Global Indian International School

Both have websites. Maybe you could contact these schools through their websites and ask your questions to them.

Good Luck.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/29 06:55
With these qualifications do I have a chance of getting a job in gaba,kids duo or other recruitment agencies which don't require native English speakers.
by Arpk rate this post as useful

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/29 07:29
Yes, I believe you have a chance. Just please note that it also depends on the competition/demand at the time.

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/29 08:12
There are 2 things here. A company that would offer you Job and company that will offer job and also sponsor visa and do all paperwork for you

First one is easier to get and you will already in Japan if your visa is in place

Second one is difficult and usually happens while you are in India.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/29 15:34
Are there some qualifications which can increase my chances of getting hired?

Re: Can an Indian get a teaching job in Japan? 2018/10/30 18:00
Would it help if I can teach a certain subject along with English (like social studies or history)?

reply to this thread