Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Student visa validity 2018/10/29 11:32
I am currently studying in a Japanese school and I wanted to return to India in December for certain period for my own marriage. But school says I have to pay school fees before returning or I can't return to India. But I don't wish to study in school next year and I've already paid the fees till March. I have already received an offer for an interview for engineering job. I have a Master's degree. But I decided to have interview after my return from India. If school doesn't allow can I just quit school and if I do so will my Visa be valid till July like it is mentioned on my Zairyuu card?
Can school cancel my student visa?
I'm worried about it.

Will be happy to receive any advice possible. Thanking in advance.
by Kira143  

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 13:12
School cannot cancel your visa. But if you quit. They will tell immigration you have quit and are no longer a student and your student visa will be cancelled.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 13:21
If you have paid in the fees until March, you should be able to stay and study until March. It looks like the school is trying to keep you as a student. How long are you going to be away in December? I cannot quite believe that they need you to pay the tuition already for them to apply for extension of your student visa from July onwards. On the school's website for example do they state by when you need to pay in tuition for next year?

If you quit school now, the school will inform immigration that you've quit (you as a student need to also inform immigration that you quit, within two weeks), and then immigration "might" cancel your student visa. In addition, if you quit school and leave Japan, officially you will have to return your Resident Card as you leave Japan in December.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 13:23
Thank you very much for the reply. Do you have any idea how much time will I have after my visa is cancelled?

And does the school hold any document that is needed to convert student visa to engineer visa.
by Kira143 rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:02
The school had not mentioned anything like that before this regarding fees. And they only want me to pay the fees as I'll be returning to my country for a month. Other students have time period till March. Can I just return to my country without informing the school. Moreover we have 1 month holidays from mid December so I'll miss school just 10 days and so my attendance would change from 100% to 94%.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:09
2 weeks is the normal time for cancellation.

When you are returning to India, are you just doing it in a holiday period? And you wont be missing classes?

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:14
I will miss school for 10 days and until now my attendance is 100% . Later on it'll be 94% and we need over 80% attendance during visa approval.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:31
Well you probably need to educate yourself with your schools sick/away policy. Can you be away that long without notice? How many days can you not attend school without informing them before they cancel your enrollment?

You probably did the wrong thing telling them the info about your personal movements. But you cannot go back now you have voiced them.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:38
Do not go back to India before the company hires you and you have (or can apply for) a "work visa". You are in a very unstable situation right now, and while staying in Japan should be ok, entering is another story.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:45
I don't think 2 weeks is the normal time for "cancellation."

When you quit a company or a school, you (both the employer or school, and the employee or the student) have two weeks during which to inform immigration that you quit work/school.

If you stay in Japan after leaving one employer, it is generally said that you have like "a few months" to find a new employer if one wishes to stay on the same work resident status and under a new employer. So you can stay "in between" jobs for a month or two, let's say, if you need to look around. (I am not sure if the exactly the same applies to schools, but if one needs to look for a new school, a bit of time should be allowed in the same way.)

But in your case, if you quit in December and leave for your country (meaning your school will inform immigration that you quit), with the record at immigration at airport saying you left Japan, your resident status "can" be cancelled while you are away.

If that happens, you won't be able to come back into Japan on "student visa" at all. And I see that you are from India - Indian nationals need to apply even for Temporary Visitor status, so you will need to start from zero to even enter Japan.

And Kira143, you are correct about attendance rate - minimum 80% is "acceptable," so the school should have nothing to complain about. I still think they just want to keep you as a student.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:45
I told the school that I'll be going during holidays and not during classes. My teacher is extremely kind and she said she'll take care of it and if anything happens she'll take the blame so just tell the school that you'll be going in December holidays. Moreover I called the Indian embassy and they told me that I didn't need school's permission to have a visit to India. Since my visa is valid till July I can come and go as per my wish. So maybe I won't inform school anything and just leave.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 14:52
Well the school just wants the money. It is the worst one ever and always keep asking money for irrelevant stuff while other schools provide those for free. And I don't want to quit school in December. I'll just visit India and return. I've asked my teacher and she said I won't have any issues so visa renewal If my attendance is above 90% which will be for sure. So I don't think school will be able to provide any reason to cancel my visa as my attendance till date is 100% and in my class including myself there are only 2 students with 100% attendance.

And regarding company; the interview would be in January so I don't think I can ask them to provide for visa before that.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 15:12
Well now you are providing new info that is a lot more positive than the gloomy outcome you first portrayed in your first opening questions.

Seems okay if you have someone at the school that is willing to look after you.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 15:30
Well I got to know about the angel in disguise after I wrote at the forum. But she hasn't been in the school for a long time and can't call the shots. But she'll try to help out in any means possible for her.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 15:35
The only issue at hand would be about school nagging for money in December. I'll try to ask my ma'am if it's OK not to reveal to the school anything and I'll just leave and return.

Thanks for all the responses.

But do you have any idea regarding visa change. My ma'am said school has to provide immigration office some data before I can change my status from student to visa and even if I find a company that is ready to change the status for me, I'll have to pay the school next year's fees and only then they'll provide that and then I could change the status from student to Engineer visa.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 19:34
From the first "...(guest)" who replied at: 2018/10/29 13:21 and 14:45:

I agree with "hakata14" @ 15:12, things sound better now, with the teacher willing to help.

I wonder if she is referring to any certificate of completion/grades that the school can issue to say you've completed how many terms of Japanese language schooling and what kind of grades you've made during your studies?

What you "mainly" need for change to "work/engineer" status from "student" are documents by the employer-to-be saying they are going to hire you at a certain level of salary, as well as papers certifying your educational background (probably bachelor's degree certificate), etc.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 21:22
Y'all need to realise that because of all the recent abuse in language schools (people enrolling in language schools just to get a work permit and work, sometimes illegally, or doing something else unrelated to actually studying the language), immigration is now scrutinising language schools and their students extra carefully (this is why for example applying for a CoE to go to a language school takes much more time than for, say, a university).

So, if OP does something the school does not like, especially since they seem to be less than agreeable, the school can make up all sorts of reasons to report them to immigration, and while immigration probably wouldn't bother with revoking OP's status, what they could very easily do is bump them at the border when they try to re-enter.

Methinks it is too risky to leave the country in this situation; do with that as you wish.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/29 23:15
Thank you very much for the advice but not leaving the country isn't an option for me. I've decided to marry in December and my relatives would gather from South Africa and different places so not going isn't an option for me. Still thank you for the advice.

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/30 06:54
Nice post
by rogger007 rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa validity 2018/10/30 09:32
Having a visa means you have honer the rules.
A study visa means you need to study for a certain period, that is the content of the student visa.

If you fail to comply school can cancel your visa. That is why they ask you to stay.
School is the sponsor of the visa and if you cannot study than what is the purpose of these visa?
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread