Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shell collecting 2018/11/1 18:28
Hi,
Been to Fukuoka several times, noticing the various shells that end up on the beaches, Momochihama for instance.

I never see anyone collecting shells though. What are the views on such "activities" in Japan? For someone like me living far from the ocean this is a rare gem to experience but maybe it is too common daily life for people living close to the sea like in Japan?

Or do people find it dirty or something that should stay in the sea out of ethic views?
by Pronoun (guest)  

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/1 21:31
I used to collect shells, and encountered many alike as I grew up. But these days, there is awareness that what comes from nature should belong there. So if a shell ended up at a beach, it's supposed to stay there and it's supposed to contribute to nature in one way or another (such as to become part of the sand or become part of the beautiful beach full of shells), and you're not supposed to take it away. But the truth is that people do sneak away one or two shells just for memory.

Meanwhile, "sea glass" art is increasingly popular nowadays. Sea glass is practically trash, but they're very pretty. Perhaps you can collect those and create a piece of art out of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/1 23:59
I actually made a heart out of shells on the beach and brought the shells home as souvenir. It was not one or two shells though (small size though).

I would never take things or plants from national parks or so though. I've not seen so many beaches in Japan though. I went to some on Ishigaki but did not pick any shells as I had heard rumors of pests or diseases could be left on them.

I saw someone had put a self service shop for shell art though near one beach.

Never saw any shells in the Odaiba beach though.
by Pronoun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/2 18:42
You do need to be careful, as some have deadly poison. I know a collector who makes jewellery from them, and he is careful to ask locals about new ones he encounters.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/4 04:20
Oh?!
You mean the hard shells have poison in the shell itself? I would never pick up a shell in water, and I have made sure the cone shaped shells are not "alive" if that is what you think of.

I learned aboyt the cone snail a few years ago.

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/4 04:20
Oh?!
You mean the hard shells have poison in the shell itself? I would never pick up a shell in water, and I have made sure the cone shaped shells are not "alive" if that is what you think of.

I learned aboyt the cone snail a few years ago.

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/5 20:35
OK - you should be safe then. Only the live animal is poisonous, not the shell itself. My friend picks from the surf.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shell collecting 2018/11/6 06:28
Hmm.... I might have picked a few cone shaped shells on my visit to Ishigaki recently.

Put them in a glass jar as soon as i got back home but did not dare open it after reading this thread. Is there anyway to kill any possible animals left inside? I guess drowning it is no idea...?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread