Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Different between NEX and JR Sobu 2005/5/12 18:11
If I'm going to Shinagawa Station from Narita Airport, what is the different between NEX and JR Sobu Line in term of time and fare? I understand that NEX goes directly to Shinagawa but JR Sobu Line do not. So if I take JR Sobu Line, I will have to change to another train? Please advise details. Also, it was mentioned it the web that JR Sobu Line depart every hour. What time is the first train? Is there any timetable available?
by JS  

... 2005/5/14 11:27
Both, the NEX and the JR Sobu Line provide a direct connection to Shinagawa Station (note that the Sobu Line is called Yokosuka Line south of Tokyo Station, but trains are direct)!

By NEX it takes about 65 minutes and costs around 3110 Yen. By Sobu Line it takes about 100 minutes anc costs 1450 Yen.

You can look up schedules here:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Confused! 2005/5/16 11:11
Uji San, if I take JR Sobu Line from Narita Airport, it will go DIRECTLY to Shinagawa station? The only different is time and money? I checked out the website you provided and it is quite confusing for the Sobu Line. Under the 'Train Info', it stated "Sobu Line(Rapid)-Sobu Narita Line-Sobu Line-Sobu Line(Rapid)-Yokosuka Line". Are these referring to the train or station? Do I have to get down from 1 train to another?

One more question: How do I go to Narita Airport from Le Meridien Hotel in Tokyo? Can you provide a few alternatives? I would like to compare price and time.
by JS rate this post as useful

.. 2005/5/16 11:15
There are 2 Le Meridien Hotels one is in Odabia, and the other one is right across the street from Shinagawa Station. I assume you're going to the one in Shinagawa, in that case its across the street.

Also the other difference between the JR Sobu and NEX is that the Sobu line is unreserved, and provides commuter style seating vs. the more comfortable NEX seats.
by .. rate this post as useful

.. 2005/5/16 11:21
To add, the hotel on the West Gate exit or Shinagawa Station.

... 2005/5/16 12:05
I checked out the website you provided and it is quite confusing for the Sobu Line.

Yes, I agree, it is very confusing, because even though the trains runs directly from Narita Airport to Shinagawa Station, the result is shown in five parts. This is due to the fact that the train runs on different lines, and I guess this is how the database stores the data. However, the word "Direct" between each section indicates, that you do not need to change trains between each section. I wish they would make the results more user friendly.

Can you provide a few alternatives?

Also assuming you mean the Le Meridien in Shinagawa, here are a few more options:

By direct limousine bus:
3000 Yen, 90 minutes, stops right in front of the hotel
Here is the schedule:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/index_route.html

by Keisei Limited Express and JR Sobu Line
1170 Yen, 95 minutes
Take the Keisei Limited Express from the Airport to Keisei-Funabashi Station (45 minutes), walk to nearby JR Funabashi Station (5 minutes) and take the JR Sobu Line (Rapid Service) to Shinagawa (40 minutes). This is your cheapest option, but the transfer at Funabashi is not so comfortable.

by Keisei Limited Express and JR Yamanote Line
1190 Yen, 100 minutes
Take the Keisei Limited Express from the Airport to Nippori Station (75 minutes), and transfer to the JR Yamanote Line to Shinagawa (25 minutes). The transfer at Nippori is more comfortable than the tarnsfer at Funabashi Station.

by Keisei Skyliner and JR Yamanote Line
2110 Yen, 85 minutes
Take the Keisei Limited Express from the Airport to Nippori Station (55 minutes), and transfer to the JR Yamanote Line to Shinagawa (25 minutes).

Note that the Keisei Skyliner is an all-reserved, comfortable airport train, while the Keisei Limited Express is a normal commuter train (like the JR Sobu Line).

Sobu Line seem better 2005/5/16 15:23
Even though the Sobu Line is slightly more expensive than the other alternatives, it is better as it goes directly to Shinangawa. Since this is my first time in Japan, I might have problem transferring to another train.

I am assuming that it is the same when I go to the airport from Shinagawa. Right?

... 2005/5/16 15:49
I am assuming that it is the same when I go to the airport from Shinagawa. Right?

Yes!

Leaving Narita by train 2005/5/17 01:32
JS,

In addition to deciding which train to take from Narita to Shinagawa (I've done this twice, taking NEX both times), it can be confusing to find the right places at the airport to purchase your ticket and to board the train. If I remember correctly, the NEX ticket counter is one level down from the immigration/customs area, and the boarding platform is one level below the ticket level. Also, while in Japan, remember that the trains travel on the left tracks, just as the cars drive on the left side of the road, so if you have a good sense of direction, you will be able to know if you're waiting on the proper side of the tracks. Although I'm sure that some of the ticket counter staff at the airport can speak English, it would help if you either knew enough conversational Japanese to ask where the ticket counters and platforms were, or if you arranged for a native Japanese speaker or someone who knew the airport well to help you when you arrive.
by Ken rate this post as useful

.. 2005/5/17 02:10
You can buy JR Sobu line tickets at the machines and bypass the ticket counter all together. If you're not sure what the price is, pay the lowest fare and pay the difference (are adjustment machine) when you get to your destination. When riding the NEX you must go to the counter since that train is all reserved seating.

.. 2005/5/17 02:12
To ken's statement trains do ride on the left, but knowing which side is "left" on a train platform is impossible, especially if you have an inland platform that has multiple entries and exits, follow all the signs as they are clearly marked.

Didn't think about that... 2005/5/17 10:37
It didn't occur to me that buying ticket will be difficult. Thanks for pointing that out. I will most likely be taking the JR Sobu. Since there are so many different train services, are they using a common machine to sell ticket? Or they have their own machine? How to identify them? Is there any Romanji on them or they are all in Japanese?

I assuming that all the sign leading to the platform has Romanji on them, right?

. 2005/5/17 11:43
There are only 2 train companies serving Narita Airport, terminal 1 and 2.

There are English signs everywhere in the airport as it is an International Airport. The signs to the train stations etc, are clearly posted with pictures.

To purchase tickets for the JR Sobu line, you either use the JR "JAPAN RAILWAYS" ticket counter, or purchase the fare ticket from the automatic machine. To use the automatic machine, press the ENGLISH button. Hope that helps.
by an rate this post as useful

Shinagawa to Narita Airport 2005/5/18 11:24
Uji San, I have chekced out the website for train schedule from Shinagawa to Narita Airport. For Yokosuka Line (JR Sobu), there is no "direct" between Yokosuka Line, Sobu Line (Rapid) and Sobu Line. Is it still going direct as indicated by you? I sorry for asking this over and over again.

JR pass valid for Sobu line 2007/9/20 19:42
With a 7day rail pass, can i ride the JR Sobu from Narita Airport to Shinagawa/Tokyo? I understand that the NEX will be valid.
by Josie rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/20 21:37
Yes it is valid, but again as you mentioned it is valid also on the NEX, so it wouldn't make any sense at all to ride the rapid train from Narita Airport considering there are much more comfortable and much faster nartia express trains going that route. Not to mention there's only 1 sobu line rapid train per hour.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread