Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anxiety on flights 2018/11/5 21:36
My SO and I will be traveling from Japan to Canada for the first time.
He is TERRIBLE on short flights, so I'm very worried about this long flight.
In the US, doctors easily prescribe anxiety medicine.
Even if doctors did that in Japan, he would refuse.
Are there any over the counter medications for anxiety/panic attacks?
Every thing I Googled suggests Xanax, etc from doctors. :(
by haaalp (guest)  

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/6 13:20
Alcohol is free on international flights
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/6 14:25
We don't drink.
by haaalp (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/6 14:51
Maybe he can drink chamomile tea to calm down or some other natural herb remedy or use essential oils like lavender which has a calming effect.
by PR (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/6 15:32
generally, he can take a medicine so called as Œ‚’Ž~‚ί,
http://kakaku.com/medicine/motion-sickness/ranking_7560/
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/6 21:32
Even if doctors did that in Japan, he would refuse.

So... it's not so much of an issue of prescription as it is of your SO, right? Why would he refuse? And if he will refuse prescribed anxiety medication, why would he take over the counter stuff?

Anyway, your best bet is to have him try relaxation techniques, or even consider taking a sleeping pill (which can be found otc) to try sleeping for the majority of the flight.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/7 05:22
Does he have an iphone, and a spotify app ? He can download lots of music and put his head phones on and chill. Look online at your airlines list of movies for that flight, and engage your son with selections. Don't be afraid to ask the flight attendants for help if you think he needs it before he gets worked up. They are trained to keep an eye on people who have a fear of flying, as quite a number of people with varying degrees of anxiety about flying. I hope your journey doesn't have turbulence as that upsets some passengers. Good Luck, I'm sure if the flight over to Japan is ok, he will be calmer on the return. Motion sickness tablets have a sedating effect. Have you spoken to your GP about this. He could prescribe anti-anxiety meds for the both journeys.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/7 06:08
I certainly agree wth the sleep idea - maybe even staying awake the full 24 hours before the flight. I always worked long hours so could sleep at any opportunity, and it sure helped on long haul flights.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/7 06:16
I also suffer from severe anxiety and I agree with the above. I buy hyoscine for motion sickness which has the added benefit of making me tired and calm overall. My first time flying to Japan I was prescribed diazepam to keep me calm, but I was too terrified to take it. The motion sickness tablets did a great job though.

As a matter of personal preference I tend to prefer podcasts over music. I find that, with songs generally only being 3-5 minutes in length the constant changes in what Ifm hearing donft help to keep me calm. Your mileage may vary, music can be very calming to some people.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anxiety on flights 2018/11/7 13:25
just go to a doctor ask medicine finished.

Since an airplane as also other passengers who also have a long flight dont have to deal with someone who is Anxiety. Sounds hard, but believe me it is really not fun to be in the same airplane.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread