Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/6 18:13
I'm an American. Live and work in Japan as an ALT. I will visit Canada for Christmas. My employer said I need special paperwork to leave and re-enter Japan.

- What paperwork is this?
- Where can I get it?
- Do I get it before I leave?
- Do I hold onto it until coming back?
by Namboku (guest)  

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/6 21:16
No, you don't. You *used* to, but now as long as you've got a valid residency status ("visa") and come back within a year, you don't need to do anything.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/6 23:00
I think you still need to fill out the re-entry card when you leave at the airport and hand it over to immigration, no? They then put a different stamp into your passport as if you were leaving Japan forever.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/7 08:42
Employer does not have the correct information.
You can just leave Japan and come back within one year.

All you need to do is fill in a re-entry paper at the airport (before custom) and you are fine to go.
You can get this paper at the check in desk or after security check.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/7 09:00
If you plan to leave and enter Japan within 1 year, no need for special paperwork.
You need to fill in this Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Re-entrants availableat the airport before you pass thru the immigration counter.
Make sure you tick the 'special Re-entry' section if you plan to return within 1 years from your departure date.
Keep the other half of the card stapled in your passport and show/return to immigration counter when you enter Japan again. You don't have to fill anycard on your way return to Japan, the other half is good.

The revised immigration regulation
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/point_3-4.html

Sample of Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Re-entrants
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/re-ed/EDcard_leaf_en.pdf

For anything more than 1 year you need to apply for Re-entry permit at Immigration bureau office before your fly out. It will cost you maybe 4000 yen and last for 5 years or until your resident status expired. It is issued in either single or multiple entry. Make sure to get multiple entry.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/7 09:17
Not relevant to OP but Correction on 'Re-entry permit application'
The fee is as follow:
Fee 3,000 yen for single permit or 6,000 yen for multiple permit
(Payment must be made with revenue stamps)

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/06.html
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa holder leaving/re-entering 2018/11/7 20:53
Nothing special - fill out the form - you are reentering with one year. It is so trivial I don't even remember if I ticked a box last time (I guess there was a box) - immigration agents weren't interested on departure or much more interested on re-entry.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread