Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling in Japan 2018/11/9 12:32
i from US, I have not been to Japan, I only know them through the anime, travel expenses are not cheap japanese people?
by henry9x9  

Re: Traveling in Japan 2018/11/9 15:45
Transport is not cheap in Japan: public transport is very good and reliable and roads have virtually no potholes but the tolls can add up (but you can get around avoiding the toll roads very easily if you have the time.)

Note that manga and anime is probably not the best way to prepare for travel in Japan, if you're looking for videos introducing Japan to foreign travellers, check out the free Journeys in Japan archive as broadcast by NHK World: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/journeys/
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling in Japan 2018/11/9 17:33
At the exchange rate of around 112JPY to 1US$, I find Japan to be an economical travel destination. It's all relative, and depends where you come from. Also, Japan offers lots of options for accommodation, like business hotels and capsule hotels, which are not available in US. You can of course find $500➕ hotels and $200➕ dinners, if you want.
by A5 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling in Japan 2018/11/11 09:08
With the unlimited travel passes that are available, travel around the country - given the distances you can cover - it is actually pretty good value.
If you expect to be able to travel 300 miles for a few dollars in a couple of hours, that is simply an unreasonable expectation. If I look at the US, something like DC to New York is comparable to Tokyo-Kyoto - depending on your travel option the prices can easily be similar (and the US examples I checked were more expensive for a shorter trip).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling in Japan 2018/11/11 09:52
I think that's right. A lot of Japanese will take 3 or 4 local trains which are pretty cheap but take longer, to do a trip that we might do on the shinkansen or an express at a greater cost (or with the benefit of the JR pass). We were staying in a machiuya at Kyoto one year and had friends from Kobe come to stay with us, it took them over 3 hours when the shinkansen would have been less than an hour. But then rail travel in Taiwan and Korea seems to be cheaper, or maybe I was just confused with the exchange rates.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling in Japan 2018/11/11 18:55
Personally, I don't think Japan is that expensive at all. Even though you can make it super expensive by making the decision to do so of course. Compared to where I live, the pubic tranportation of Japan is also not expensive at all! I actually wrote a whole article about the cost of Japan, which you can find here if you want to read it: https://alovingladytravels.com/2018/08/18/is-japan-really-that-expensi... and I also shared my Japan travel budget on my blog, which might help give you an idea of what you might need. We did it kind of the budget way.
by Kyra (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread