Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/11 12:11
I am a single Japanese-American woman (who doesn't speak Japanese) in my 40s and am interested in checking out a sumo match while I am in Fukuoka next week (November 18-20). Will I feel awkward going alone? I am used to attending events alone in the US and Europe, but am wondering if my attending a match solo will draw looks of disapproval or wonder in this particular context. I know I shouldn't care what people think, but I also don't want to do anything that will bring discomfort to both the locals and myself.
by loritake  

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/12 13:03
No one will care if you are alone.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/12 15:55
I went alone last year to the Fukuoka Sumo event and enjoyed it very much. Definitely no strange looks. Actually rarely any strange looks in Japan for traveling solo.

Enjoy your Sumo!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/12 23:38
Thank you LikeBike and John B! That's so reassuring to know. Booking tickets now...
by loritake rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/13 03:11
It's a great day out. I've never been with anyone else either. I hope you managed to get your tickets.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/13 03:18
I went alone to a Sumo match in Fukuoka years ago. The only thing I didn't like were the seats. Not the location of the seats, but the actual seats themselves. They're hard plastic and basically the size of primary school seats in the US and Canada. Found them way too small and way too uncomfortable so after a few matches I just got up and walked around and stood in a few areas out of the way where I could watch the matches and take some pictures.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/17 05:33
No one will care. I went alone in Osaka sumo event and was lucky enough to sit next to a Japanese elder who spoke English.

Hope you have fun.

by r43534 rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/11/17 07:39
Good on you for going along to experience this great traditional Japanese sport. You get hooked! I just love it.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going to a sumo match alone? 2018/12/13 12:57
You can always enjoy the experience alone.
by clancy19 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread