Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Possible to get a work visa without a Degree? 2018/11/21 06:18
Hi Everyone,

I do apologise as this subject may be asked often but as I have some unique parts to my questions, I decided to rather add a post. Please do not answer if you are answering based only on the generic default information found on the internet as I have spent hours trying to find any/all information I can find already. I would like answers if people have more actual experience on this or can advise on other points of my query/guide me to some useful companies/agencies that they may know could answer any questions better.

Points/Questions:

1. I do not have a Bachelor's degree. I am 32 years old so can no longer apply for the 'working holiday visa'. What I would like to know is, if a person who is a Native English speaker, got a TEFL qualification and had N3 or N2 JLPT - Are there still options for me (I am speaking of future goals)? Would some companies/schools still have options? Albeit it would be far less options than the "Anyone with a Bachelor's no matter the subject" situation, but is there still any possibility just the above and with some teaching experience? I know people mention minimum 3 years teaching experience, but what exactly counts as 'teaching experience'? Does this only include physical classroom experience? Can it include online teaching experience or 1:1 teaching experience? Do some places include the time taken for any teaching courses?

2. I am also married so we are trying to look at all/any options possibly available for us as a couple (I understand we need to apply for seperate visa's). My husband has a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering. My question is, if he found a job in Japan that was willing to sponsor him (COE etc.), does anyone know if there are restrictions for spouses? If he was able to go on a work visa, can a spouse go with? If so, can they work regardless of Bachelor's or can they not work?

Also, we are in the UK which might be needed to take into consideration for recommending companies or agencies that you may think could be helpful for us.

Would appreciate any advice, answers or suggestions (except the suggestion to give up on this dream).
Thank you very much!
by raeDFT  

Re: Possible to get a work visa without a Degree? 2018/11/21 09:26
1. What counts for experience is decided by the immigration bureau on a case-by-case basis. The only way to know for sure whether your experience counts is to apply for a CoE.

2. If your husband gets a "work visa", you can come on "Dependent" status and apply for permission to work part-time (up to 28 hours per week).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread