Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/22 12:05
Good day,

I am a japanese national with filipina wife, and want to apply for the spouse of japanese national visa, and I got few questions about how to do it.

We have marriage certificate of both side, and we've been married for a year already. And just recently took my wife from her country for good. And she needs the visa to work here in japan.

1. ) Am i correct I should follow this site? http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/ZAIRYU_NINTEI/zairyu_nintei1.h...

2. ) her visa is about to expire soon, (next week) will she needs to go back to her country if the process is still ongoing after her visa expires?

3.) any tips would be appreciated
by Yuts (guest)  

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/22 12:43
- Your wife is currently in Japan? On what resident status is she (Temporary Visitor, possibly)?
- Your marriage is registered in your "koseki"?

On the assumption that she IS in Japan on Temporary Visitor Status currently:

(1) If she is in Japan now with some kind of resident status 在留資格, then what she needs to file for is application for change of resident status 在留資格変更申請.

http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/ZAIRYU_HENKO/zairyu_henko1.htm...

(The link you had was for CoE, when you apply for a "visa" - visa is for entering Japan; if she is in Japan already, you apply for a change in resident status.)

2) If she can complete the application for the above change BEFORE her current status expires, then she can stay in Japan until they arrive at a decision.

3)
- Please get the application for the change before her current status expires.
- Please be careful with the distinction between ビザ visa and 在留資格 resident status.
- She needs the "Spouse of Japanese national" to stay with you in Japan, that is the purpose of the status :)

(From a Japanese with a non-Japanese spouse)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/22 13:35
@AK

Thanks for your reply!

- Your wife is currently in Japan? On what resident status is she (Temporary Visitor, possibly)?

Yes, currently she is with me, but she has only Tourist visa.

- Your marriage is registered in your "koseki"?

Yes, our marriage is already registered in my koseki.

--

I just contacted the immigration and they've said its impossible to extend the duration of tourist visa while processing our request,,
by Yuts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/22 14:20
(1) If she is in Japan now with some kind of resident status 在留資格, then what she needs to file for is application for change of resident status 在留資格変更申請.

As mentioned by AK, you should apply for Change of Resident Status 在留資格変更申請 at the immigration bureau.

If the Change of Status application is accepted, 'APPLICATION申請' will be stamped on your wife passport to indicate the Change of Status application is accepted and in process.

With that, technically your wife Temporary Visitor Status will be 'automatically' extended for 2 months or until application decision is made, whichever is shorter.

DO NOT mention about Spouse Visa application unless the immigration officer suggest it first.
Try to insist/give reasonable reason why you want to apply for Change of Status and not Spouse Visa (COE).

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/22 14:32
In Japan, "Temporary Visitor" 短期滞在者 is the official name for "tourist visa."

You apply for the "change of resident status," and then while it is being processed, she can stay in Japan (after getting the "APPLICATION" stamp in her passport) until a conclusion is reached. It is not that "temporary visitor status" is "extended," but she can stay in Japan.
在留資格変更申請をして、受領されると(「申請」と、パスポートにハンコが押されます)、その審査中、結論が出るまでは、日本に継続して滞在できます。「短期滞在ビザが延長」されるわけではありません。あくまでも審査中の措置です。

As both I and the other guest mentioned, it is "change of resident status" you should be taking, NOT "applying for a visa (through the COE path)." As I wrote earlier, please try to think of "visa" and "resident status" as different things.
私も、もう一人の投稿者も書いた通り、「在留資格の変更」を申請すべきで、「ビザ」を申請するのではありません。先ほども書きましたが、「ビザ」と「在留資格」は区別して考えるよう、留意ください。

In any case, please get the change application completed before her current resident status expires. なんにせよ、現在の奥さんの在留資格が切れる前に、必ず、必ず、変更申請を完了してください。

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/25 21:04
Thank you guys for your advices! I have completed all the requirements and will go to immigration bureau in shinagawa branch, but 1 thing,

http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/ZAIRYU_HENKO/zairyu_henko1.htm...

> 11 在留カード又は在留カードとみなされる外国人登録証明書 提示

In this link, the number 11 requirement needs my wife residence card, but at this moment she doesn't have one. Is it okay not to bring any if its unavailable?
by yuts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/11/25 21:14
Right. She can't show what she doesn't have :)
そうです。ないものは提示できませんから、大丈夫です。

Once again, just to be sure, she is applying for "change of resident status" from "temporary visitor" to "spouse of Japanese national," so that the two of you can stay together long-term in Japan. (She is not applying for "spouse visa" and it is not for "her to be able to work in Japan.")
念のため、ですが、手続きは、短期滞在から日本人の配偶者等への「在留資格変更申請」で、お二人が一緒に長期間日本で過ごせるようになるために、申請をする、のです。(配偶者ビザの申請をしにいくのではないし、「働けるように」申請するのではありません。)

Best wishes! すべてスムーズにいきますように!

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/12/13 12:52
We got the notice from immigration saying our result is ready and will go to immigration tomorrow,

but the post card says we bring 2x 4000yen stamp. and instead of A1 counter they instruct us to go to D5 counter.

is it a good sign?
by yuts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/12/13 14:57
2x4000yen stamp is a good sign.

D5 counter maybe they want to do consultation or confirm something ?

Refer this
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/soshiki/kikou/service_counters_en.pd...

Good luck.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of japanese national visa 2018/12/14 09:47
The requirement for the stamps is payment for the application/processing - it is an alternative to cash.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread