Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/25 13:34
We will be staying in Osaka for a week and other than visiting Kyoto, we intend to go Okayama for a day trip. Is Okayama worth visiting? Thank you!
by Rainbow Candy (guest)  

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/25 22:04
Needless to say, it depends on what you expect in Okayama. So what do you expect? Perhaps someone can tell you if the area is worth your expectation. By the way, a more typical/popular spot for foreign tourists is Hiroshima.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/25 22:39
@Uco is right. What do you want to see? I'm biased in that I love Okayama but there are plenty of other options even if you don't go as far as Hiroshima. Kurashiki, Himeji & Onomichi spring to mind.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 02:10
I really enjoyed visiting Kurashiki area of Okayama.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5750.html

Another popular spot is Korakuen Garden, where you might meet a 10yo tour guide who was recently featured in CBS Evening News.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5701.html
https://youtu.be/PVfdDcQVTw4
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 04:47
In my opinion it is worth visiting if you have more than 3 weeks (or have visited Japan before).

I stayed in Okayama as a hub to travel to multiple places. From Okayama I did Hiroshima, Okunoshima, Kurashiki, Kibi Plain as day trips. All the trips, I had plenty of time.
I loved visiting Kurashiki in the Okayama area and the bicycle ride around the Kibi Plain.
Okayama itself has the beautiful garden and the castle, which are definitely worth visiting, but Okayama itself needs only 1 day (max 2) in my opinion.

To me, definitely a place to visit again as a transportation hub with good value hotels and a little more 'Japan' feeling than the crowded forgeign touristy places...
by Mikichan1991 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 09:55
It really depends on what you want to see and do. I think the Korakuen garden is really nice, peaceful place (I went when it opened, so no big crowds). The area around the garden is perfect for cycling/outdoor activities. Close to the Castle, there is a river/lake where you can rent those swane little boats. But that's it. What I did and was great, was Okayama in the morning and Kurashiki in the afternoon. I had a great day (a made it as a day trip, I didn't stay overnight). So I think you should go, or you could do there reverse, Kurashiki first, then Okayama. But better be early to visit the garden, 'cause when I left there was big school kids tours and other people coming.

Enjoy!!!
by catiasmteixeira rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 10:07
Thank you very much for all the feedbacks. I will visit Okayama and will definitely enjoy it😊
by Rainbow Candy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 14:57
Take any train from Okayama to Shikoku and you will go across the famous Seto Ohashi (Seto bridge), which crosses the Inland Sea. Once on the other side, you can get off at the next stop and take the train back across the bridge, or else go on to Matsuyama. That's an interesting place, especially the small Botchan Train, and afterwards you can take a high speed ferry to Hiroshima, then ride a streetcar/tram to the main train station.
by John711 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 15:57
@John711 Wait, you suggest going to Shikoku & then coming back without visiting Ritsurin in Takamatsu https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5401.html That would be a huge shame :) But the OP is talking about a day trip to Okayama. Takamatsu is a day trip from there so we are both getting a little off topic :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 16:13
We stayed in Kurashiki (choosed between Okayama and this, but found Kurashiki more charming) for a week - lovely town and excellent base for daytrips - Kibi plain, Shikoku (Kotohira), Tomonoura.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Okayama worth visiting? 2018/11/26 18:57
I Love Okayama. Your visit will worthy when you buy Jr west Okayama kibi no kuni odekake pass For 1980 yen.This great rail pass also cover some non Jr as well as partially cover Limited express and shinkansen.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread