Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/4 18:28
I met my boyfriend 4 years ago but we're officially for 3.5 years. We did long distance for a months until I decided to come and live here with him. I did the working holiday for 1 year and changed over to a student visa.
We're getting married next April on our anniversary and once we do, I will try and change it over to spouse Visa.
My current Student visa expires in July.

Also I keep reading stories of visas being rejected. I'm just worried because we love each and want to be together.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I'm open to any suggestions.
by LnM (guest)  

Re: Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/5 13:35
As far as I know, you should have no problem as long as (1) the marriage is genuine, (2) you (or he, or the two of you) have means to support yourselves financially on a stable basis, and (3) if you can substantiate 1 and 2.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/5 15:05
if you get married just before your status expiration, they may think you get married to stay in Japan, because they know many fake marriages are like that.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/5 16:56
Thank you all for your answers.
We only wanted to get married next April mainly because it will be our anniversary. We could change the date so that it won't affect us.

I heard it's best to apply while still in Japan on the student Visa. Some say to leave wait a few months or so.

Financially we are both okay.
by LnM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/5 20:24
Just to be clear, what you will be applying for is "change in resident status" from "student" to "spouse of Japanese national." What you have currently is resident status as student, not visa. Visa is for entering the country; once you are in Japan, you have a resident status. This distinction is important :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Spouse Visa 2018/12/6 09:33
I do not know why you need to change your date for marriage.
If you choose a date because there is a reason for that just keep the date.

Even if it is before your visa expires you can just marry.
As you mentioned you have a long distance relationship and probably you have many proof, such as pictures, letters, email etc.

This proof you can hand over when you apply for a visa.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread