Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 04:24
Hi, I have been offered a position in Osaka manufacturing company. Annual salary is 7 M before tax. My wife is not working and have young son of 6 years. Since, we don't know Japanese language, we plan to enroll him into international English school. Like to rent 50 sq mt apartment.

Will this salary be good enough for comfortable living?

Is it possible for non japanese kids to get enrolled in Japanese public school?

Thanks.
by DP (guest)  

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 10:37
Is it possible for non japanese kids to get enrolled in Japanese public school?

Yes, though the amount of available support (remedial Japanese language instruction, etc.) and general attitude towards non-Japanese students varies greatly from one place/school to another.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 11:01
It's possible to live reasonably comfortably on the wage you will be paid, but where things get difficult is when it comes to international schools.

There are two international schools in Osaka - Osaka Senri and Osaka YMCA. The second school is probably the cheaper of the two but I can't vouch for it's quality. Osaka Senri costs around 2 million yen a year and note that this is a not for profit school which means they most likely don't have discounts apart from multiple kids. That's something to strongly consider.

http://www.senri.ed.jp/en/850-2/1266-2/tuition-fees-ois/

Apartments will cost anywhere between 80-150,000 a month but I might be wrong with that.

I used to be a teacher at a Japanese international school so I know some things. One thing which I have seen is international kids going to elementary school. If you find the correct school in Osaka and your child's still at the right age, this could work well. One thing I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND is sending your child to a Japanese middle school if they don't have the language.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 11:45
Thanks for the replies.
1. Will there be any English speaking support in elementary school. My son has alreadt attended grade 1. Even if we enroll him again in grade 1, he will probably struggle in Japanese. Does anyone (both non-Japanese parents) has similar experience, sending kids to public school?

2.another question is about annual salary increment? I heard it's not more than 2 percentage?

Thanks
by DP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 16:21
"Will there be any English speaking support in elementary school."
your child will be treated as same as other students.

what is your purpose of coming to Japan ? you are responsible for your child's education.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/8 18:07
Will there be English language support?

Simple answer - no (as stated by Ken).

This forum is a wealth of information, but not as many expats living in Japan with kids will frequent this forum. My biggest suggestion would be to search up Osaka Expat Forums and start from there.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is 7M yen salary enough in Osaka/Kyoto? 2018/12/9 09:33
Why should there be foreign language support? A Japanese person would not expect Japanese support if they went to a school in USA or UK.
As others have said, pick a school that operates in English (they exist).
I know a couple here in Tokyo that are considering returning to the UK (after 10 years) because their kids (who go to an international school) are getting to high-school age, and they are looking at the education paths for the future as the children probably will not stay long term (plus they wouldn't have an automatic right to stay anyway.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread