Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good towns and onsen/ryokan-northern Honshu? 2018/12/9 01:28
We will be traveling from Hakodate to Tokyo over several (4-5) days and are looking for a few good towns to stop on the way. Wefd like a mix or blend of city and country, mountains and coastline. Any suggestions for a nice, moderately priced ryokan in an onsen town? Other places to stay and play as we make our way south??
Thanks!!!
by Doc Mike  

Re: Good towns and onsen/ryokan-northern Honshu? 2018/12/10 11:27
Depends on your definition of "moderately priced"... But nyuto onsen, kakunodate (not onsen, but samurai town), zao onsen are lovely. Ginzan onsen is popular but i haven't been.
What time of year?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Good towns and onsen/ryokan-northern Honshu? 2018/12/10 15:47
I would say start by reading the Tohoku section of this webpage or your guidebook. My personal suggestion are:
Hachimantai
Nyuto onsen
Kakunodate
Tono
Hiraizumi
Ginzan onsen
Yamadera
Aizu wakamatsu

Not all of them if you only have 4-5 days. And there are for sure other interesting places in Tohoku that I have not listed out of ignorance.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good towns and onsen/ryokan-northern Honshu? 2018/12/10 22:57
Hi!

It also partially depends on time of year and how you are getting around. (via public transport or rental car.)

I went to Oyu onsen to a lovely ryokan in 2009. I do 't remember the price, but I was traveling with a friend on a tighter budget than me. However it's not readily accessible via public transport and the more scenic ways to get there are not possible during the Winter. (One of the roads we took had just opened in late April and we were caught in a blizzard during our drive.)

I really liked Zao as well.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread