Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/9 06:26
Is it recomended to use a car in Kyushu Island
by Orna (guest)  

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 11:34
It depends on what in Kyushu you want to see.
I traveled the entire Kyushu by train and bus.
What do you want to see in Kyushu?
by 9 shoe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 12:16
Use trains to get close, and then rent a car for the day to get into places like Kyushu Sanchi Highlands, Mt. Aso and Kurokawa, Kirishima, the Genkai area (NW of Karatsu) or the Sata Peninsula.

Driving the long distances can be tiring and/or expensive using the highways, and driving on free roads takes a huge amount of time. Route 10 down the east side or Route 3 down the west, is like driving in a city with many stoplights and only a 50 km/hr speed limit.

Driving in cities is not recommended unless you know where you're going and have an idea of where to park. Finding a place to park is not always that easy, and it too can be expensive.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 13:28
As said, it depends on where you are going. If you want to drive, there are some places where driving is ideal.
But if you don't want to, there are lots of places where you can easily go by train or bus.
https://goo.gl/AJ9gBf
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 14:53
Yes, it really depends on where you want to go. Japan`s train system is really convenient and can take you to most places. If you`re unsure try using sites like hyperdia to plan your trip.

For more information and good tips about Japan, visit https://www.go-a2b.com/ . They have lots of good info and stuff that is not in guide books.
by A2B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 20:27
If you are happy to drive, by all means rent a car. Oh yes, trains & buses enough in Kyushu, but it also has zillion hidden charms you'll never see if you only travel by train or bus.
Visitors from overseas (even overseas living Japanese) can get KEP.
This is a very economical Kyushu Expressway Pass. Only available through rental car companies. Check out the website for KEP.
I meet a lot of people who rent a camping car and they all are very positive about driving around Kyushu.
by Alishan rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/10 22:18
As others have said, it really depends on where you are going. I've travelled around Kyushu both by train/bus along with by driving. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If your visiting Fukuoka/Kagoshima/Kumumoto, it's best to travel by train is it's on the Shinkansen line. However, the train network on Kyushu is not as good as it is on Honshu (it's better than Shikoku and Hokkaido though). As such, I tend to use both. For example, I will catch trains to my main locations and then hire a car for a few days, such as when I visited the Kunisaki Peninsula which is one of my highlights on Japan (along with Takachiho) for more rural locations.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Kyushu Island 2018/12/11 03:03
Thank you all for the very useful advice. I will build my trip schedule accordingly.
by Orna (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread