Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/24 16:57
1. Is it possible to drive from Sapporo to Noboribetsu and back to Sapporo in January 2019?.
If I were to take train from Sapporo, Does local bus from Noboribetsu to "Hell Valley" frequent? Where can I get the schedule?

2. Appreciate your advice if I want to self drive from Sapporo to Asahikawa and to Abashiri in Feb 2019.
Do i need to have Hokkaido Expressway Pass? If yes where can I get it?
by Shima Rasedi (guest)  

Re: Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/25 21:10
Is it possible to drive from Sapporo to Noboribetsu and back to Sapporo in January 2019?

Yes, it is possible around the year. But I strongly discourage people without winter driving skills to do so.

If I were to take train from Sapporo, Does local bus from Noboribetsu to "Hell Valley" frequent?

Yes, relatively frequently:
https://www.navitime.co.jp/bus/diagram/timelist?departure=00082241&arr...

2. Appreciate your advice if I want to self drive from Sapporo to Asahikawa and to Abashiri in Feb 2019. Do i need to have Hokkaido Expressway Pass?

No pass is needed and won't pay off for a one-way journey between Noboribetsu and Asahikawa. You can drive via tollfree roads or via expressways. Google Map can give you travel times.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/25 22:08
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am actually want to drive from sapporo to asahikawa and abashiri . It is because some places cannot reachable by public transportation.

Hopefully i can make it as this is my first time experience driving during winter
by Shima Rasedi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/26 07:23
The places you wish to drive to are in the midst of winter and driving with no experience on icy roads, blizzard conditions (Abashiri) is asking for trouble.

The trains will take you to the places you mentioned. The cost of car rentals, petrol, tolls will probably even up cost wise with train fares / JR Hokkaido pass.
Train travel is warm and safe compared to inexperienced winter driving.
You can enjoy the scenery and Japanese hospitality on the train instead of stressing yourself on the road.
by grobea rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/26 12:30
Thank you Grobea

Will take note on that
by ShimaRasedi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving to Noboribetsu and Asahikawa 2018/12/29 19:28
@ShimaRasedi
You might want to read about the current heavy snowfall in Hokkaido and the warnings issued. Refer to my other post.
by grobea rate this post as useful

reply to this thread