Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko crowds 2018/12/25 20:47
One of the things on my itinerary has fallen through so I'm thinking of replacing it with a trip to Nikko from Tokyo.

This is in March btw, Friday 22 & Saturday 23.

I'm thinking of making it a 2 day trip, heading up early Friday and coming back Saturday. My plans are to do both the World Heritage temples in Nikko and Edo Wonderland.

I was wondering if people can help with 2 questions:

Which do you recommend I do first ie will one of these be much busier on the Saturday vs the Friday? I think I've dodged the school holidays but I'm not sure of what kind of crowds to expect being March. My initial thought was Edo Wonderland on Friday, letting me get an early start at Toshogu to try and dodge the bulk of the day tripper crowds.

Second question regarding transport. I'm looking at the Nikko Heritage pass and I was hoping someone could clarify something for me. I intend to use the express trains (spacia?) to go to and from Tokyo - I'm staying right by the Skytree - and wasn't sure if I can grab the express all the way to Kinugawa Onsen station (paying the extra charge for express) or not as the pass says round trip to Shimo-Imaichi.
by moonangelica (guest)  

Re: Nikko crowds 2018/12/26 10:09
If you were including a trip up to the lake and falls, do that on the Friday rather than the Saturday (due to traffic). Otherwise I would probably do Edo Mura on the Friday and Saturday for the temples/shrines.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko crowds 2018/12/26 11:19
I agree with JapanCustomTours. If you are going up to the Chuzenji Lake and Kegon Waterfalls, that should be done on a weekday, preferably in the morning as soon as you arrive in Nikko. (It is the bus ride up & down that gets affected by the traffic.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread