Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/27 07:59
I’ve made Dashi for several years. I bought Bonita flakes ( product of Indonesia) from an on line retailer. I noticed for the first time the Katsuobushi is smoked. The flavor is very strong. Here are the proportions of basic ingredients I use for Dashi.

4 cups water
1 kombu
40 grams bonito flakes

Is this correct. Never before have I used Bonita flakes that have a strong Smokey flavor/smell.
by UFGatorSEC (guest)  

Re: Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/27 10:14
40 grams to 4 cups (= 800ml) of water sounds a bit on the strong side.

Also, do you cook the bonito flakes after you bring the water to boil? Don't - that makes the flavor too strong.
by … (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/27 11:06
Yes it was too strong. The 16 oz. package says 20 grams per 4 cups of water. My standard recipe I have used for years says 40 grams per 4 cups of water.

I do not ever boil either the kombu or the Bonita flakes when I make Dashi.

I make Dashi twice a week and I have Dashi in my refrigerator all the time. This is the first time I have ever had Bonita flakes that were smoked or have a Smokey smell taste.
by UFGatorSEC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Smoke Bonito Flakes 2018/12/28 09:23
Please someone tell me.
Is the Bonito flakes suppose to be Smokey smelling/tasting. This is the first time I have run up against this. I do not like the flavor of the smoke in my miso soup.

Can someone please tell me where to purchase Bonito flakes that aren’t smoked.

Is this normal for the bonito flakes to be Smokey ?

Re: Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/28 09:44
probably, katsuobushi of Japan is not same to the product of Indonesia.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/28 11:19
Thanks Ken. I’m returning the bonito flakes. I’ll make sure the ones I purchase are from Japan.

Re: Smoke Bonita Flakes 2018/12/28 15:45
Yes it was too strong. The 16 oz. package says 20 grams per 4 cups of water. My standard recipe I have used for years says 40 grams per 4 cups of water.

I do not ever boil either the kombu or the Bonita flakes when I make Dashi.

I make Dashi twice a week and I have Dashi in my refrigerator all the time. This is the first time I have ever had Bonita flakes that were smoked or have a Smokey smell taste.
by kuqizz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread