Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do business hotels charge by the person? 2018/12/28 23:35
I am planning a trip to Japan with a close friend within the next couple of years, but we are finding mixed information regarding to how hotels charge guests. On this web site, you have listed that business hotels such as APA, Super Hotel, etc. charge by the room vs per person. However, multiple places such ash TripAdvisor state that even business hotels charge by the person, not by the room as stated here.

Can someone please clarify for us if business hotels charge per room instead of by the person?

Thanks,
Aaron
by Aaron (guest)  

Re: Do business hotels charge by the person? 2018/12/29 08:56
You should check when booking the room. I think it depends on the booking platform and the hotel. In my experience I would say they charge by the room (e.g. Toyoko inn), but it might depend if you book through a web pages other than the hotel the price might get presented as per person.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Do business hotels charge by the person? 2018/12/29 08:59
Depends on the hotel and booking site. Some hotels assume two people per room, others don't. However, when you get to the total charge it doesn't actually matter if it is per person or per room.

For example, a room might be 10,000 yen per person, but only sold as a two person occupancy, so 20,000 yen. The same room sold for single occupancy might be 15,000 yen, so 15,000 yen for the room.

When booking hotels/ryokan that price per person, you actually need to be pretty careful (in my experience) that you don't end up paying more than planned as sometimes it is not obvious. When working on a booking earlier this year I found something I thought was pretty good at Nikko (although 38,000 yen) and it was only at the final confirmation that it became obvious it was a per person rate (and I avoided incurring the mandatory 5% cancellation fees). Booked somewhere else.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Do business hotels charge by the person? 2018/12/29 13:07
I usually use Booking.com for my hotel reservation. From my upcoming trip in February I can give you an example. Super Hotel Shimane Matsue Ekimae double room for single occupancy is Y7,500 while double occupancy is Y10,500
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do business hotels charge by the person? 2018/12/29 13:48
Sometimes it is per person, sometimes it is by room. This is no different to the rest of the world. Just read the hotels room description and you'll have your answer for individual hotels.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread