Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama altitude sickness? 2018/12/29 09:12
Hi
I went to Tateyama alpine route this fall and upon reaching the Murodo station I felt an odd sensation when walking around looking for sovenirs.

It was like ringing or something in the ears and I felt quite dizzy,like when you stand up too fast. I dont remember how long it lasted but I hiked around the area and had been hiking around the wetlands below earlier.

I heard there is a possibility that altitude sickness kicks in around that altitude. Could that have been it?
by Grinch (guest)  

Re: Tateyama altitude sickness? 2018/12/29 10:42
Yes, definitely that can be related to altitude, or rapid altitude change. Symptoms like you describe would usually caused by pressure build up in your ears that cannot clear. The fact that this happened at the highest station makes it the most likely explanation.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tateyama altitude sickness? 2018/12/30 01:13
I did not sleep many hours the night prior to the trip due to having to ride the very early train (had to get up around 4 am).

I actually plan to hike taller mountains in the future, so maybe it is a warning to avoid that since I have shown signs of altitude sickness before?

Or was it just due to toe rapid climb using a bus?

I remember staying in Midagahara area for about 2 hours before heading up to Murodo, staying around Murudo for 3 hours. But I don't recall having any other symptoms or the symptoms lasting any longer than maybe 15 minutes or so.

Didn't help the restaurant was full either.
by Grinch (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread