Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2018/12/31 19:15
Hi, i'm planning a trip around Japan in mid may, and i would like to know if it's a good itinerary.
Basically i'll be in Kyoto for 4 days(from 8th to 12th) and i would like to also visit Nara, Osaka and Hiroshima.
Then in the 12th i'll go to Kanazawa, in the 14th i'll take the bus to Shirakawa and then to Takayama where i'll sleep. In the 15th i'll go to Tokyo, in the 17th and 18th i'll go to Hakone and then back to Tokyo, and in the evening of the 19th i'll return home. I'll already been to Tokyo, Kamakura and Nikko in a past trip, so i'll just pass two days around Tokyo. I think i'll but the 7 day jr pass and use it mostly for the shinkansen to Hiroshima and Tokyo. What do you think of the itinerary? And do i need the jr pass? Thank you.
by Marco (guest)  

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 08:47
With the side trip to Hiroshima, you do make a 7-day pass pay off - just bundle your long distance travel together as much as possible, and get to Tokyo by the end of the Day 7 of the pass. It is covering a lot though and you may not see everything - you will need to have a fairly brisk travel pace and be eclectic about where you go.
Hiroshima is much more than just the Peace Park/Museum - the Shukkeien Garden is wonderful, and the Mitakidera Temple on the west side is the secret jewel of the area - May should be an excellent time for it as well.
https://goo.gl/fAz4ax

Osaka you can save for the evenings - that is when the city really comes alive.
https://goo.gl/XE5R94

If you were thinking of a day there, I suggest you take a half or full day and see Himeji - it has the country's finest original castle and the Kokoen Garden is also magnificent
https://goo.gl/65ZtRi

For Kanazawa, ignore everything else if you have to, but don't miss the Kenrokuen Garden - it is really at the top of the list.
https://youtu.be/riB-vzWNKLM

Also, I hope you are aware that the JR Pass does not cover the buses for Shirakawago and Takayama. Plus getting from Takayama to Tokyo is 4½ hours. Have you thought of staying in or close to Hakone for the night?

by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 08:53
Looks really good, though I think it will be hard to squeeze in everything in the first 4 days in particular, I'd drop Osaka personally. If you want to see a nice castle, stop at Hikone on the Kyoto - Kanazawa leg and visit the castle there, allow maybe 2 hours for that.

Mid May is a really nice time to travel, if you work in Bessho Onsen you might get some cherry blossoms.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 09:19
Although you have 4 days in Kyoto. You really only have one full day to sightsee.

I'd suggest dropping a day from Tokyo and adding one to Kyoto.

Also visiting Hakone between Takayama and Tokyo will save time and backtracking.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 09:33
I admit being a slow traveler but your itinerary seems to be too busy.
As a PP said, you have hardly anytime at Kyoto with all the side trips you plan. Ifd concentrate those days on Kyoto and Nara (and maybe Uji). Also the trip to Kanazawa-Shirakawa-Takayama all in one day doesnft make sense if you items to visit all these places. Kanazawa easily needs a day. Takayama and Shirakawa an other. And thatfs still way faster than Ifd ever go.
Just calculate the trip time vs time actually sightseeing in each location taking also in consideration the time needed from the station to the actual sightseeing spot.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 18:37
Thank you all for helping out! I don't know what to drop, I would like to spend at least a day in Tokyo and visit the Fuji/Hakone area. Is Takayama or Kanazawa skippable? Isn't a day and half enough for seeing the most of Kyoto? Counting the I'll be around Kyoto also in the evenings. If possible was thinking of going in Takayama before Kanazawa, I would go to Takayama in the 12th, in the 13th I would go Shirakawa and Kanazawa, and in the 15th I would go Tokyo. If think that if I have to buy the Odakyu pass I have to go to Shinjuku before Hakone. I was actually thinking of also going to Fuji lakes on 16th and sleeping there. Then in the 17th I would go to Hakone, sleep there and in the 18th I would return to Tokyo. Is it a good idea? And is the Fuji Hakone pass whit the return trip worth it?
by Marco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/1 19:23
What to drop will be your decision based on your interests. I personally would either do only Kyoto, Kanazawa, Takayama and Shirakawa or only Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo in the time you have available. But those are my interests not yours.

Isn't a day and half enough for seeing the most of Kyoto?
Umm... in 1,5 days in Kyoto you can see a few glimpses. Spend a week, you can see all the highlights. Spend 2 weeks and you start seeing off the beaten track places.

But as said above. Itfs your trip & your interests. List up what exactly you want to see in Kyoto and then plan it out with all the transport in between. If you are in a great rush, consider taking taxis between locations to speed you up (but depleting your wallet).
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Opinion on 11 day itinerary 2019/1/2 05:33
You could do do Arashiyama and Kinkajuku in one day, and Fushimi Inari in 1.5-3.0 hours.

But realisticly, Nara in a "half day" is a super rush, so you don't really have 1.5 days in Kyoto anyway.

I would recommend 2 full days minimum for Kyoto for a first timer. But 3 would be a better figure.

Osaka is very similar to Tokyo, hence why you'll find suggestions to omit Osaka due to this fact.

Personally though, as the above responders have suggested, you are just attempting too much for such little time.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread