Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Hokkaido Itinerary and travel arrangement 2019/1/2 20:42
Hi,
I will be traveling with another person, so just 2 of us to Hokkaido area from Feb 7 through Feb 14.
We plan to go to
1) Feb 7 -9 : Sapporo ( 3 nights) - to see Odori, Susukino, Tsu Dome, Otaru winter/snow festival. Is 3 nights too long? I will arrive at Sapporo in the evening on Feb 7.
2) Feb 10 - 11: Asahikawa - we are debating whether we should stay 1 night at Asahikawa and another night at Sounkyo - we want to see the ice festival in Sounkyo, or just stay 2 nights at Asahikawa. The bus schedule between Asahikawa - Sounkyo are not that many.
3) Feb 12: Noboribetsu
4) Feb 13: Hakodate
5) Feb 14 : Travel back Citose to Narita airport

My questions:
Are the above itinerary doable , i.e., not to rush? I am open to any suggestion for other places we should go.
Should we get Hokkaido pass or JR pass or better of with renting a car? We will be traveling for 8 days total.
Thank you in advance for the suggestions/advises/inputs.
by Afang  

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary and travel arrangement 2019/1/11 13:29
I agree Sapporo to see Odori, Susukino, Tsu Dome, Otaru winter/snow festival for 3 nights.
And the ice festival in Sounkyo shall be visited. You plan to stay Noboribetsu onsen so I recommend 2 nights in Asahikawa.
It is too far from Noboribersu to Hakodate. Another area near Chitose is recommended.

I discourage people to rent a car without winter driving skills in winter.
And no pass is needed just for Otaru and Noboribetsu, Asahikawa.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary and travel arrangement 2019/1/27 14:15
Thank you for the response. What places in Chitose area that you recommend to visit?
Also, I am planning to get Hokkaido intercity bus pass, would this be a better deal? or just buy individual bus tickets?
Thanks again in advance.
by Afang rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary and travel arrangement 2019/1/29 10:42
What about these?

Lake Shikotsu Ice Festival
https://hyoutou-special.asia

Hokkaido Hakone Farm
http://www.hakonebokujo.com

Hokkaido intercity bus pass would be a good deal to go aroud Sapporo, Otaru, Noboribetsu and Asahikawa.
You are already aware some routes have a very limited number of buses that run each day so be sure to check bus time!
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary and travel arrangement 2019/2/4 15:06
Thank you for the suggestions. We have decided to go to Lake Shikotsu.
by Afang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread