Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

work permission on a student visa 2019/1/4 22:11
Hey everyone

I will be studying Japanese in Tokyo for one year starting in April.
I read online that itfs possible to work part-time for up to 28 hours per week if one applies for a work permission (Shikakugai katsudo kyoka).
Apparently itfs recommended to obtain it at the airport because otherwise one will need to make several trips to the Immigration Bureau and wait for several weeks while they process the work permit.

When I look at the application form for the permission it asks for Place of employment, etc.:
https://www.tuj.ac.jp/ug/visa/pdf/work-permit-application.pdf

Does this mean you first need to get a part-time job offer from an employer in order to apply for permission to work? That doesnft seem realistic to achieve that before even landing in Japan.

Has anyone experienced applying for permission to work before getting to Japan without a part-time job offer?

Thanks for any help.
by Daniel (guest)  

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/1/5 16:11
Personally, I went to immigration only once and got the permit in about an hour, but I am studying at a reputed Japanese university. It wouldn't surprise me if they are stricter with language school students since many come to Japan for the primary purpose of working and en up working illegally (e.g., more than the allowed hours).

If your status is "Student" you can leave the employer information part of the application form blank.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/1/12 17:55
Thanks for your answer.

I see. I thought the part where you have to fill out the employer is for the future job that you are looking to apply to and not the one you already have .
Hmm. But on the other hand why would you apply for permission to work if you already have a job..?

I'm still confused.

Has anyone else had experience applying for permission to work as a Japanese student in Japan?

Thanks for any advice.
by Daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/15 18:58
No one can help? :(

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/16 10:19
On a student visa you can work 28h per week.
When you arrive you will get your student visa at the airport.

You need to discuss with you university if it is allowed to work, since some universities want students to focus on the course. (Case by case)

You can apply for a partime job and if you found a job you need to fill in the document you already have.
Without employer you need to find one and go to immigration to hand over the document.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/16 17:59
You can apply for the permit at the airport to save you time.
No need to have your employer detail fill in if you don't have any.

Most school/university advice/recommended way for those on student visa to apply.

Sometimes, the immigration officer will mention it to new student visa holder when they enter Japan at the airport.

Best prepare/fill in the application form prior to your arrival.

https://schoolynk.com/media/articles/45007ef7-4d78-4337-ad6f-13feea12adbd
https://www.akamonkai.ac.jp/english/campuslife/lifeinfo/flow.html

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/16 20:08
Thank you so much for you answer!
The link from schoolynk.com really explains everything I needed to know!
Hopefully others can benefit from this thread too..
Big thanks!

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/17 06:33
Due note that every situation is different, no guarantee.

Would be nice if you could update your experience.

Good luck.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/2/17 20:51
Sure, I will :)

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/4/8 17:52
As promised, here is my update:

When I arrived at the airport I had to wait about half an hour and then I just had to give them my passport and this document that I filled out previously: https://schoolynk.com/media/articles/45007ef7-4d78-4337-ad6f-13feea12adbd
Then they created the residence card and also put a stamp on the back of it that says something about 28 hours. It's all in Kanji so I'm not 100% sure what it means but I guess it's my work permit :)

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/5/7 22:22
Hi Daniel, May I know about the residence address? Because I haven't found any accommodation in Osaka. Can I put the hotel address or my school address? Thank you!
by S (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: work permission on a student visa 2019/5/12 09:48
Hey S

Hotel address should be totally fine.
I see that the link to the short application document doesn't work anymore so I uploaded it here.
https://ufile.io/yp61ceeq
On this document no address is needed and it was accepted at the airport.

Hope this helps.

reply to this thread