Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/6 07:57
Japan-guide.com states "The Sumida River Line runs from Asakusa to Hama Rikyu garden (35 minutes, 980 yen, 1-2 boats per hour). The dock at Hama Rikyu is located within the garden's paid grounds, and admission to the garden is included in the price of the boat ticket. After Hamariku, the boats then travel a further five minutes to the Hinode Pier (40 minutes, 780 yen from Asakusa), where a transfer can be made to boats bound for Odaiba.".

I could not find any up-to-date information about this route. It seems that it might no longer exist. Every time I try to see boarding points, schedules, etc. I am switched to a cruise that doesn't stop at Hama Rikyu. Does anyone know if in fact it was discontinued?
by Zsuzsi17  

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/6 17:46
Here's the timetable for Suijo Bus trips from Asakusa to Hamarikyu: http://www.suijobus.co.jp/en/price/?ride=asakusa&getoff=hamarikyu

Elsewhere on the site it says that there's a separate admission to Hama Rikyu. The pier is indeed within the grounds of the park.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/6 23:44
Must we make a reservation for this, or can we simply show up? We will be in Tokyo 5 nights beginning Jan 15. Thank you.
by cinberk rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/7 02:00
I remember taking it once from Hamarikyu more in spring or autumn and there was definitely no need to reserve. I would be surprised that in January there is a need to reserve it.

If you have time, make sure to visit the Hamarikyu garden as well. I worked closeby and we came down for lunch to the garden frequently, even used to have a year pass. It's a very nice (and large) Japanese style garden with contrasting skyscrapers standing around.

If after that you are hungry, you can go up to the 40something floor of the buildings around Caretta and have lunch (or dinner).

Enjoy your trip to Tokyo!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/7 07:25
I took this route last July. I reserved for peace of mind, and there were a lot of people there, but the boat was quite large so there were a lot of spare seats.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/7 15:57
Thanks for the helpful replies1
by Zsuzsi17 rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification re. water bus on Sumida River 2019/1/9 23:47
thank you very much.
by cinberk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread