Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning assistance 2019/1/7 13:44
Hello! So my husband and I are traveling (without children :)) to Japan the last week of May. We will be there for 6 nights/7 days. Honestly, we really just want to eat well, experience Japanese culture, and see some sights... and just have a really good time.

Day 1 - arrive at Tokyo 4pm
Day 2 - Tokyo
Day 3 - Tokyo
Day 4- travel to Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - leave Kyoto in the AM to Tokyo for a 6pm flight home.

Here is my question. Hakone looks amazing... do we stay there Day 4 or skip it and head straight to Kyoto?

If we skip Hakone, any recommendations for a good ryokan in Kyoto? I'm guessing we would stay our first night in Kyoto at one.

Thank you! Honestly, I just want to have the best time in Japan. We are there for such a short time that I want to make sure we are planning in right.
by HEATHER Suarez (guest)  

Re: Planning assistance 2019/1/7 17:15
For only one week, I would recommend staying in one are - doing Tokyo and surrounds, or Kansai. Both require a lot of time to see well, and a few days only might make you feel rushed, especially if you add Hakone in the middle.

You could do the full week in Tokyo, with a stay in Hakone, and not get bored! If you want a Kyoto-esque experience, Kamakura is around an hour away from Tokyo and often called a "mini-Kyoto" because of its abundance of shrines and temples.

If you do still want to visit Kyoto, I'd skip Hakone (you simply don't have time), and see if you can change your flights to depart from Kansai International Airport, so you don't have to make the return trip from Tokyo.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning assistance 2019/1/7 20:05
No. It's not actually worth it and it disrupts your limited time in Japan too much.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread