Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/8 08:01
Dear all,

Urgently looking for elements of answers to a very tricky situation...

I am currently on a working visa that expires on Jan 15th. I obviously have to leave the territory by this day (I have a flight on the 14th) The thing is : I have lost my passport and am having it re-issued. (I initiated the procedure almost 3 weeks ago)

By the 15th, I will have to notify the Shinjuku ward office that I am leaving and do all Lump-Sum withdrawal and tax-related procedures.

My questions are :
- am I absolutely required to bring my passport to the city office or is the resident card enough ?

- I am back on Jan 20th as a temporary visitor. I know this sounds crazy but in the case I receive my passport too late, can I go to the city office with my pierced card and notify them that I already have renounced to my jp residency ?

- has anyone here already lost their passport few days before having to leave the territory ?

Thank you so much,

E

by EVA (guest)  

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/8 10:54
The city office wouldn't care about your passport - that is a travel document. Resident card only as far as I would be concerned.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/8 11:50
Thanks for the précisions !

Has anyone here ever changed their working visa for a 90 days temporary visitorfs visa at the immigration office ?

I could read on some forums that in the case the visa expires before the planned date of leaving japan, there was a possibility to have the length of stay extended without leaving the country.

Thanks!

E
by Eva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/8 12:03
Yes, it is possible to apply for a change of status to Temporary Visitor (with no guarantee that it will be granted, nor that the permitted period of stay under TV status will be 90 days).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/8 17:02
Thanks !

Any idea of how long it generally takes to change your status of residences from working visa to TV ?

E
by Eva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/9 09:26
The processing time does not really matter; once you have submitted your application you can expect to be able to stay until a decision is made.

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/9 21:19
Note that for the application usually a passport is one of the necessary items to bring. It is very possible that your reason to stay in Japan while waiting to receive your new passport will allow them to make an exception, but you'll need to ask immigration directly. I'd recommend going in to your nearest immigration office ASAP, or calling if it is difficult to do. They will be able to advise you further.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/10 07:04
Actually, a passport is only necessary if you have one. If you don't, that's okay. I'd also be somewhat surprised if not having a passport was in itself considered a valid reason to extend your stay.

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/10 09:41
To be a temporary visitor there is a requirement to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay, and,
As a temporary visitor you are required to have your passport on you at all times.

Need a passport.

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/10 10:06
If you are American good luck,the government shutdown probably will delay all travel documents , related to travel,you would not be refused entry to the US,if you are a American citizen
by Supremeliberal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/10 10:14

As a temporary visitor you are required to have your passport on you at all times.

Need a passport.

The word "passport" does not mean what you think it means, however.

http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?re=&vm=&id=303...

If you don't have a passport in the usual sense of the word, either your embassy or the Japanese authorities can provide an alternative document that will satisfy the carrying requirement.

Re: Visa expiring - lost passport 2019/1/11 09:56
Yes, of course there are alternative travel and identity documents that can be issued, but that is a minority of cases.

reply to this thread