Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student Visa to Tourist Visa 2019/1/9 15:55
Hello guys,

I create this post because I have a little problem right now.
I'm currently a Student in Japan (Language School) and my Visa expires on January 2020.

The fact is I have some familiar issues and I have to go back to my country before planned (I was pretending to stay here for at least 1 year).

Because of that, I want to travel around Japan, go outside of Tokyo and know more about the country before my departure flight (March 27). That's less than 90 days

Today I went to my language school to told them about my situation and because of that i'll quit school and spend this time traveling around Japan. I told them too that I want to go to Immigration Office and change my student visa to tourist visa.

After all of that the school staff was kinda mad about it and they told me that I need to leave the country in 1 month and I'm not allow to stay here for more than that.

I know that they cannot revoke or denied my Visa but still I'm kinda worried about how quickly can immigration react about the notification of that I left the school.

I really don't want to change my departure date flight.
Just to be clear, I'm not working and I don't have plans to do it.

My question is.
1- What can happen if I don't change my status visa of Student until the departure date? (27/03/2019)
2- How risky is going to the Immigration Office and apply for a change to Tourist Visa? Is there a high risk of being denied?

Thanks.-
by StriderJP (guest)  

Re: Student Visa to Tourist Visa 2019/1/9 21:15
Once you quit your language school, technically they must notify immigration of this within 14 days. YOU ALSO must notify immigration of this change within 14 days! So you might as well go in and try to apply for a change of status to temporary visitor in that time period. It will depend on the immigration officer who takes your case whether they grant the status change or not. Bring your flight information and proof of its purchase, and that will help. Prepare to explain why you're quitting the language school and yet taking so much time to travel if they ask.

If you don't notify immigration, it's possible you can be fined and your current student residency status revoked if you're caught. Is it likely that you'll be caught? Well... maybe, maybe not. I would rather be safe than sorry though. If you are caught and deported, you wont be able to enter Japan for 5 years. So it's better to stay on the legal side. Your school, however, has nothing to do with it once you're no longer a student. Their only legal obligation is to inform immigration that you're no longer a student, but they have no power to enforce anything with regards to how long you stay; that's immigration's job. So don't worry about your school. Just make sure everything is good with immigration.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Tourist Visa 2019/1/10 07:09
If you don't notify immigration, it's possible you can be fined and your current student residency status revoked if you're caught.

Fined, yes. Revoked, no, unless they believe you are up to something nefarious.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student Visa to Tourist Visa 2019/1/13 12:55
Well, after all of that, I was able to change my flight to February 21, so I'm going to stay just one month more in Japan.

Now I have to send an email with my move-out day (I'm renting an apartment), finish the electricity contract, water supply, close banks accounts and all of that.

I think, i'll not have problem to stay with my Student Visa for one month if I don't attend to school anymore? Because I want to take this time to arrange my departure to home.
by StriderJP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread