Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food gift for Japanese woman visiting US 2019/1/10 02:07
I am giving a short college tour to a young Japanese flight attendant, who I met during a flight from Japan. Am thinking of giving her some Trader Joe's salt/pepper pistachios, and a Trader Joe's reusuable cotton bag. I know she will bring me a gift, and am looking for suggestions on what other food/snacks I can get from Trader Joes that might be unique. Chocolates are available everywhere she travels in the world, she also shops at Whole Foods when she visits the US.
by Sara (guest)  

Re: Food gift for Japanese woman visiting US 2019/1/10 09:17
Trader Joe’s has a really good bag of fried and salted mochi that kind of tastes like Cheetos without the cheese powder. I don’t know fried mochi is common in Japan, though. If it isn’t, she might get a kick out of it.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Food gift for Japanese woman visiting US 2019/1/10 10:00
If she is a flight attendant and have visited mainland US before, she is probably familiar with Trader Joe’s. In fact, some Japanese really like TJ and call it Tra-Jo (トレジョ) for short. TJ does not have a store in Hawaii, where lots of Japanese visit, so shopping at a TJ when they visit the mainland US is often on their itinerary.

I am wondering why not give her something with logo of the college she is touring (bag/mug cup/shirts/notebook/etc).
by Nan Jakore (guest) rate this post as useful

How about wasabi almonds? 2019/1/10 10:24
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check out the fried mochi, and will look for a college souvenir. I saw some Blue Diamond wasabi almonds today, would that be anything unique?
by Sara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food gift for Japanese woman visiting US 2019/1/10 12:00
I can personally attest that Trader Joe's bags are a popular souvenir for Japanese travelers to the U.S. I see women with the canvas TJ bag on the trains in Tokyo pretty often.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food gift for Japanese woman visiting US 2019/1/11 00:58
I am surprise foreigners want to visit the US ,with all this anti foreigners , hostility ,Japanese people are well traveled ,they can figure it on thier own ,what they like
by Supremeliberal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread