Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice needed on Japanese Alps 2019/1/18 17:35
Hi,

In May my partner and I will go to Japan for the first time. We will be traveling from Tokyo to Mt Fuji (Kawaguchiko) by car. From there we will visit Matsumoto, Takayama and Ena (Tsumago). We have quite a bit of time in those places and I'm wondering if there are any other places/cities/national parks in the area that are worth a visit. Also, how much time does one usually spent in Matsumoto, Takayama and Tsumago. Will we be done looking around in a few hours?

Thanks in advance!
by Mormor88  

Re: Advice needed on Japanese Alps 2019/1/19 11:38
There is no need to rent a car for the places you intend to visit - they are all reachable by public transport. Tollways and parking could actually make things more difficult, in particular for Tsumago, which is closed to car traffic for most of the day to preserve the post-town atmosphere.

From Takayama and Matsumoto, it is easy to reach Kamikochi, possibly the most famous of Japan's national parks. Again, having a car is actually a hindrance, as private cars are not allowed within Kamikochi (must access by public transport or taxi). https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html

You can also walk a section of the old Nakasendo walking highway that ran from Tokyo to Kyoto. Certain sections have been preserved, including a 2-3 hour portion between the post towns of Magome and Tsumago. It's a very enjoyable walk, and the post towns have been extremely well preserved.

I'd say one day for Matsumoto, a few hours for Tsumago (although staying overnight in one of the ryokan is very pleasant, as you can walk around the town after all the day trippers have left), and maybe two for Takayama if you want to see a lot of things there.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice needed on Japanese Alps 2019/1/19 15:04
Ainokura, Gujo-Hachiman and Hida-furakawa are all lovely (and can also be accessed by public transport, which I recommend).
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread