Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/20 03:57
This is my second trip to Osaka, hence intending to visit other sights in Wakayama, and am interested in Nachi Falls / Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine.

I will only be in Osaka for 3 or 4 full days; will it be advisable to do a day trip to Nachi Falls, or stay overnight near Kii-Katsuura Station? If it is the overnight option, are there any other recommended areas to stay the night? I will have one suitcase with me, so that will be factored into consideration.

Option 1: day trip from Namba to Nachi Falls and return.

Option 2: arrive at KIX at 9am, take the train to Kii-Katsuura Station and explore Nachi Falls, spend the night. Take the train to Namba the next morning.

Many thanks.
by jellybelly (guest)  

Re: Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/20 08:12
It's a long trip (about 5 hr each way) from Osaka to Kii-katsuura. Then you have to take a bus/hike to the water fall (buses don't run frequently, either). So I recommend staying overnight.
by naniwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/20 09:30
I wouldn't do that as a day trip from Osaka, but my next visit to the area (and to the Nachi Falls in particular) I'll be staying a slightly more practical distance away - Shirahama (the express to KiiKatsura is only 90 minutes each way).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/20 12:25
It's more of an overnight trip rather than a daytrip considering the long hours on the train. We stayed in Shingu for 3 nights last February which was not enough to discover the area. Also you have to factor in the weather for such long journeys. On one of the days the trains were badly disrupted due to strong winds.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/20 15:47
Many thanks, all. It seems that it's advisable to at least stay a night at either Shirahama or Kii katsuura area.
Regarding weather, would late February pose any issues?
by jellybelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Nachi Falls late February 2019/1/21 03:03
I am now thinking of doing 1 night at Wakayama, and 1 night at Kii-Katsuura, followed by 2 nights at Osaka.

So on Day 1 Wednesday, I could take a later flight and land at KIX around noon, take the train to Wakayama station, sightsee, and spend the night. Day 2 Thursday morning, take the train to Kii-Katsuura, drop off luggage at hotel, and visit Nachi Falls; stay the night. Day 3 Friday morning, take the train to Osaka.

Suppose this revised plan works better? Will the Kansai Wide Area Pass cover the trip from KIX all the way to Kii-Katsuura and back to Osaka?

Have looked at accommodations in Shirahama and Shingu, but there doesn't seem to be any near the major train stations.
by jellybelly (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread