Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Regarding the CoE 2019/1/20 07:22
Hello everyone, I know you got plenty of similar questions posted in the past (and I went trough many of them), but I would gladly appreciate if someone could help me with this.
- I am married since 5 years with a Japanese citizen and we have a baby.
-We have always been living together in Europe but last December we decided to move back to Japan, therefore during our Christmas break we spent in Japan, we applied for the spouse visa
- In January I came back home for work reasons but my wife and my child did not as we wanted to avoid stressing the kid too much with long flights and for medical reasons as well.
Now, considering that none of us has a job in Japan but my parents in law allowed us to live together in their house and they guaranteed for us in the application form, my question is:
- I miss them terribly, in case the CoE will take longer than 2 months, would it be possible for me to go to Japan as Tourist, waiting for the CoE and eventually leave and re-enter the Country?
Also, according to your experience, being married for quite a few years and with a baby as well, would this significantly make the processing time shorter?
Thanks a lot!
by AlfioKun (guest)  

Re: Regarding the CoE 2019/1/20 16:24
- I miss them terribly, in case the CoE will take longer than 2 months, would it be possible for me to go to Japan as Tourist, waiting for the CoE and eventually leave and re-enter the Country?
So I assume that you can come visit Japan as Temporary Visitor and stay a few months (without applying for any Temporary Visitor visa separately)? If that is the case, it should be possible. In fact, once you are in Japan, you can apply for a change of resident status from Temporary Visitor to Spouse of Japanese Nationalh without leaving Japan.

Also, according to your experience, being married for quite a few years and with a baby as well, would this significantly make the processing time shorter?
These facts make it very likely that you will be granted a Spouse of Japanese visa (they can immediately see that this is a genuine marriage, and that you intend to stay together), but it will not necessarily make the processing time shorter, in case the immigration authorities are simply busy. But these facts do work positive for you. The only thing you might be asked about is the financial guarantor, which you seem to have provided already (your in-laws).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Regarding the CoE 2019/1/20 16:37
Many thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I could stay up to 3 months as Tourist.
Regarding the financial support, besides my parents in law we did provide copy of our Bank Statements (We do have 2 joint accounts, one in Japan and one in Ireland).

Now, for sure I cannot go back to Japan until the end of February as I need to quit my job/packing our stuff, if by then the CoE won't be ready yet I would try to go as a visitor as this situation is truly causing me separation anxiety :(
by Alfio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Regarding the CoE 2019/1/21 08:38
Why you dont go Japan and apply visa change directly.
CoE you need to arrange outside Japan. So in this case you need to go back to your home country.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Regarding the CoE 2019/1/21 08:47
To both the original poster and to justmyday, please be careful with the words gvisah and gresident status.h
If you say you apply for spouse gvisa,h then you are directed by the immigration authorities to go the CoE – visa way, meaning, from outside Japan, because gvisah is something you use when you enter Japan.
The one you apply for once you ARE in Japan is change of gresident statush (from Temporary Visitor to Spouse of Japanese National, in the case of original poster). This is something you do inside Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Regarding the CoE 2019/1/21 14:48
Hi, many thanks everyone for your replies.
Sorry for the confusion, just to be clear: I applied for the spouse visa in the "classic way": we went to the local immigration office in Japan with all the papers and I am waiting for the CoE. Shortly aftet we applied I left Japan as I had to go back to work in my country.

My question is simple: should the CoE take long, would it be possible to visit my family in Japan for, let's say, a couple of weeks as Tourist? I would then leave again. This is only because I miss them, I am not looking for any shortcut :)
Have a nice day!
by Alfio (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread